3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 2000 - cant get in after changing settings

My son-in -law has just posed a problem to me. For reasons best known to himself - and to fix what he thought was another problem, he changed his ex-work laptop settings.The laptop was enabled to work on his ex-company network. As far as I can make out, he went to the second tab in my computer properties - the one with the computer name and domain on it, changed something, was prompted to say whether he wanted it to continue to work as a work station and said he wanted it to work as a normal home PC. After some activity he was prompted to reboot, did so, but to his horror although it offered him his previous network sign-on persona, it would not accept his password. He only "thinks" he knows the administrator password, and that wont work either, though it does go off and do some work before rejecting it.

I dont have W2K here, so I cant even see what he may have done.

We would both be very grateful for any ideas on how to proceed, and / or some advice about whether his data would remain accessible if we re-loaded the operating system.

Thanks, Mike C

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Windows 2000 - cant get in after changing settings

<hr>whether his data would remain accessible if we re-loaded the operating system<hr>

If you do a clean install, you will loose all the Data because you have to reformat the Drive.

If you reload Windows as an Upgrade, yes your Data would or should stay intact. But if you can't bootup to Windows you can't run the upgrade option, that I know of.

There should be away to log back onto Windows though, without going through all that. I personaly have never run up against that problem, but I'm sure someone here can help you with it. So hang on for awhile before you do a clean install.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 2000 - cant get in after changing sett

As long as the Administrator account is still named Administrator, I know that there are downloadable tools that can reset the Administrator account and so enable access. If your son-in-law wants to go such a path, I would suggest that he start with the standard search engines.
    Gre