New Lounger
    Thanks

Close Message, Outlook crashes (2000)

In Outlook 2000 running on WinXP, when I open a message and then close it, Outlook shuts down. This doesn't happen if I read messages in the preview pane. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks

Re: Close Message, Outlook crashes (2000)

Some security and macro related issues:

(1) Make sure Outlook is in the Restricted Zone (Tools>Options...>Security>Zone)

(2) Make sure that ActiveX and Active Scripting are disabled in the Restricted Zone (Tools>Options...>Security>Zone Settings)

If the cause is malicious script in the message body, the above should stop it from happening. If that doesn't help, it could be that you have a macros or Add-in running that reacts to the closing of a message. Where? This can be difficult to determine...

(3) As a first step if you increase your macro security to High (Tools>Macro>Security) and restart Outlook, any code in your Outlook project (VbaProject.otm) that runs at start-up will not run.

(4) If this doesn't help, open the COM Add-ins manager (Tools>Options>Other>Advanced Options>COM Add-ins) and let us know what you find there.

Also, you could try a general Help>Detect & Repair... to correct any Office files that might have become corrupted.

Last but not least, if you use Word as your e-mail editor, try using the Outlook editor and see if that helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Let me give these things a try and I'll get back to you. BTW, I did a detect and repair--no help.

Thanks,
    William

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried everything. I mentioned earlier that I did a detect and repair on Outlook. The problem is on my wife's machine and she's so busy with editing that she maintains that she doesn't have time to redo customizations. I assume that if I did a complete reinstall of Office 2000 that she'd have to go through that process, right?

Thanks

I'm no expert on reinstalls, but I understand that a lot of settings do survive due to a bit of sloppiness in the uninstaller. MS offers various "erasers" that will clean up better.

In order to affirmatively preserve settings, you could try Microsoft's Save My Settings or Profile Wizards. Not sure where you get Save My Settings; the Profile Wizad is in the Office 2000 Resource Kit.

Hopefully someone else will have a cleaner/quicker solution.