New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2002 Slow Opening Network Files (Office XP)

I'm not sure I'm posting to the right place but I'll take a stab at it since Access is the application where my problem manifests itself. Ever since our department updated our computers and software to Windows XP Professional and Office XP, I've had problems opening and using databases of any size (50+MB) on a network drive. I have one database that I use continually and update (make a copy and rename) each month that takes 3 minutes to open and become available for use within Access. When I go to edit a query in this and other large databases, I have to wait over a minute for the hourglass to clear and the query to become available for editing. These problems do not occur when I first copy the database to my local drive. I will mention that when I use Windows Explorer to copy the file, it takes from 2-3 minutes before the Explorer copy dialog box pops up showing that copying has begun. It takes another few minutes for the copy to actually occur.

These problems lead me to believe that something is not configured correctly with respect to my machine's network settings. Unfortunately, there seem to be hundreds of settings within XP Professional and I don't have a clue as to where to look. Unfortunately, our network administrator hasn't been much help either except to tweak my hosts file which had no impact whatsoever. Other workstations in our department open the same files I am having problems with at an acceptable speed but I have been unable to determine how their systems are configured differently from mine. The hardware is comparable among all our machines. There are others in our department that are having the same problems with Access that I am.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this slow performance with Access 2002 and network files? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Lemly

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2002 Slow Opening Network Files (Office XP)

>>>>>>>>>>I will mention that when I use Windows Explorer to copy the file, it takes from 2-3 minutes before the Explorer copy dialog box pops up showing that copying has begun. It takes another few minutes for the copy to actually occur.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I recon its the net work. Could it be possible that someone has fitted the older, slower network cards by mistake? , Or new ones but set to the wrong speed?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2002 Slow Opening Network Files (Office XP)

I believe we've ruled out network or computer hardware issues. A network support guy came by and swapped out my network card (token ring I believe) for a faster model he happened to have with him. That made no difference in correcting my problem. How do you check what the speed setting is for a network card?

Alan