New Lounger
    Thanks

WorkFlow Document? (Word2000)

I have set up a Word document with fillins, drop downs etc. to try to automate a current papertrail. This doc is in three sections, and is filled out by three different groups in a sequential chain of events. Each section needs to be signed off/approved before it can be moved to the next section. This is intended to be done via email.

My problem is how to set fields that require approval, and can't be fudged by someone else.
    I have created a template and can password protect that (and the doc created from it) but I don't think that will do what I want, at least my attempts to do this didn't work.

I will make a bold statement and suggest this cannot be done as it is more a UserAccount thing controlled by the domain and nothing to do with Word. Hope someone can make me eat my words.
    Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Re: WorkFlow Document? (Word2000)

Do you believe in passwords? Let's pretend you have six (Word) sections:

1. Form
    2. Approval for Section 1
    3. Form
    4. Approval for Section 3
    5. Form
    6. Approval for Section 5

When step 2 comes up, the person who is to approve would unprotect section 2 with her or his strong password, enter approval, then lock both sections 1 and 2. Each section would contain an element that would be destroyed if the document were converted to rich text (because convering to RTF will clear the passwords), as a "tamper indication." Etc. for the other sections.

That's about all I can think of if 6 people need to share a single document.

After playing with this idea... Oh rats, you can't have multiple sections protected with different passwords (at least in Word 2002).

How about if there is only one approval password, only the big bosses know it, they enter it into the relevant protected section, unprotect the document, select the part they approved, cut, Edit>Paste Special>Picture. Then re-protect the document. You can't prove which of them gave the approval, but no later approver could (without excess effort) change what was done before.

Actually, maybe a COM Add-in could handle the protecting and unprotecting for multiple people. The add-in could use system calls to talk to Active Directory or whatever your authorization authority is, and handle the keys behind the scenes. It would be a bigger project...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WorkFlow Document? (Word2000)

Thanks for your input, yeah I have tried passwords on sections too and should have mentioned it.
    I am not sure this can be done and am leaning more towards an Outlook Form which works on Email Addresses (attached to domain users).
    But you can make word look and feel so much nicer than the outlook forms I thought it would have been great to do it.

I haven't given up yet..