3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Detect MSDE (2000)

Is there any way of telling whether MSDE or any of its components are running? Some colleagues of mine have been told that one of their servers is sending out a virus type message containing something called 'Spida Worm'. This worm attacks SQL server, but they are not running SQL server. However, I recall reading somewhere that MSDE may be running on some machines without anybody realising it. I know that they installed Access on their server as a favour to me a while ago so there's a possibility that MSDE was installed at the same time.

Or at another time. Does anybody know of any other operations that can result in MSDE being installed and activated without anybody realising.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Detect MSDE (2000)

Many Office components use databases, some of them MSDE. If you have Office 2000 installed, assume MSDE is there as well and install the security patches.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Would you happen to know what security patches? Do you mean SQL security patches or are there some specifically for MSDE?

If they have to use SQL patches, is there any way of knowing what version of 'SQL' the server thinks it is running?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Go to the MS web site and look for the SQL Server patches or use the Office Update site. MSDE is a version of SQL Server. If you have Office 2000 installed, the MSDE is SQL Server 7. Unless you have installed SQL 2000, you should use the patches for SQL Server 7.
    Charlotte