3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlinks (Word 2000)

Recently I have been working with hyperlinks. It seems straight forward and easy to create a hyperlink but then something odd happens. I click on a hyperlink and I get a message "Cannot open the specified file". I check the full path of the hyperlink and it is correct but the only way I can get the hyperlink to work again is to recreate all of them. Anyone available to help?

Am I missing something or is the search feature no longer available for the lounge?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlinks (Word 2000)

Searching has been disabled for almost four months now, see <!post=Temporary suspension of Search facility,250092>Temporary suspension of Search facility<!/post>.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are a few MSKB articles about this error, but it doesn't seem likely that they apply to your situation. Still, it won't hurt to have a look at them:
    WD: "Cannot Open the Specified File" Error Message When You Click a Hyperlink
    OFF2000: Cannot Use Pound Character in File Name for a Hyperlink
    WD2000: Incorrect Hyperlink, Error Inserting from Insert Field

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jan

When you say you check the full path of the hyperlink do you mean the text that is displayed or the actual address of the hyperlink. The two are not the same thing.

Verify the actual path the hyperlink is seeking by right clicking the hyperlink and choosing Edit Hyperlink and examine the Address field. Is that path valid?

Do you have read access to that file?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am checking the full path name by right clicking on the hyperlink and then selecting edit hyperlink.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jan:
    Is this a file that has been moved? When you press Alt+F9 to view the codes, the full pathname must be enclosed in quotes if there are any spaces AND there must be DOUBLE backslashes in the path name (not like when you look under Edit/Hyperlink). It can be very confusing.

It's also confusing because if you create a hyperlink in a document that hasn't been saved, you get an absolute link (the full path). If your target document has already been saved, then the path is relative. And, of course, it's even more complicated if you go to File/Properties... & put in a hyperlink base.
    Hope this helps,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Does the hyperlink path work correctly if you copy the path into a browser window?

Is it possible you have installed a patch from Microsoft which is blocking this link ability?

Do the hyperlinks work on another machine?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I did was to actually type in the full path name rather than browse to the file. The hyperlinks are continuing to work as of today. When I copied the hyperlink to my browser, it could not find the file. I am having difficulty understanding the difference between relative and absolute hyperlinks and how each is created. Can you give me some additional clarification?

When the hyperlinks were not working for me, they did not work on another computer, as well. My computer was recently updated with the latest patch, SP3.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Jan:
    Does the path include double backslashes?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It did when I first created the hyperlink. Now, however, it shows ...and the file name.

When I hover over the words that are hyperlinked, I see the full path name which does include the double slashes. I have attached part of the document so you can see what is going on.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jan:
    I can't check the path, of course, because it's not valid on my machine. However, try this. Find one of the source files (e.g. PertAgnew.doc) & copy it's full path to the clipboard. Then, in the target document, insert a new hyperlink (Ctrl+K). In the Hyperlink dialog box, paste in the full path & click OK. This hyperlink should be an absolute hyperlink & should work.

Press Alt+F9 to show field codes. Now compare that path with the corresponding one in your document that doesn't work. Are there any differences in the path that you see? If so, with field codes showing, you should be able to do a find replace in all your hyperlinks (it's just the beginning part) & then update your fields. Let us know what happens.
    Cheers,