3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blue Screen on bootup (XP Professional ?)

My daughter's eMachine (el cheapo) has always been a problem. Now when she boots the following happens: First the black and white screen asking for F1 to continue or for setup. Then with normal startup Windows XP begins with the black and red screen saying Windows XP, only to then freeze with a pure blue screen (no writing). I tried safe mode, and it freezes on a black and white screen saying safe mode. I also tried "go back to last good configuration" and it doesn't improve the situation. Help please. Do you think this is a hardware or Windows problem?

Thanks

kdoc (keith)

keith

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Blue Screen on bootup (XP Professional ?)

I could be either or both.
    How long have you have this machine?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Do you have the WinXP CD? If so you may want to put it in and use the Recovery Console. I am not all that familiar with the Recovery Console, but I'm sure someone in here is. I know that it will allow you to rebuild the Master Boot Record to which I think may be your problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The machine is about 3 years old and has always been trouble. Thinking of solving this with a Dell or whatever. But would like to get this one running too. What do you think? And how does the recovery console work, if anyone else thinks that might help?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have found that the "Repair" option is also helpful. But you need the CD. Just boot as above, but some "Restore" CDs do not have this option.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It definitely looks like hardware problem. The "first black and white" screen is probably BIOS screen asking for hardware configuration (setup). Some BIOSes do not show error messages, and when you go to Setup it's hard to figure out what is wrong. But because first Windows screen is "black and red" instead of black with color Windows logo and blue indicator, the most possible cause is video adapter (especially if integrated with motherboard), video memory or system memory (RAM). In any case it is serious problem and sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new computer instead of wasting money trying to fix the old one.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks folks: Just to clarify re the last post, it did boot up after the F1 to the typical Windows Logo (I just don't remember what the "colors" exactly are--it showed Windows XP and that little horizontal red long thin rectangle scrolling with dots from left to right--then the blue screen). But, I too suspect hardware. I'll try the "Repair" option with the CD then give up.

kcohn

Banned Member
    Thanks

Me thinks you have a Hardware Problem, and as posted above, most likely the Video Card or Drivers is the culpret. But you never know when it comes to these dad blasted computers.But my money is on the Video Card. Try removing the Video Card {if it isn't integrated}, making sure it's clean and the reseat it real good and check your cable Connections.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not a red screen: a typical Windows logo with black red whatever other colors, then all blue. I'll try the video card approach too.

kdoc

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Kdoc/keith--

If you get a Dell or any other OEM, watch their site closely for sales that go on and off for a few days constantly. It can save you hundreds of bucks--just did this with a friend for his kids.

I think you can revive the OS on that emachine--don't know where you are, but what are you able to do with the F8 key (I know you said Safe Mode screen was "freezing."):

These lounge posts deal with the so-called 'Windows Windows Advanced Options Menu,' reached by pressing the F8 key everyone traditionally associates with going into Safe Mode. This is the black and white screen where you can key up and down to use ten options. They will go over all your options, as well as explain and context the Recovery Console. They will also link you to all relevant KB's or sites that explain the use of these life lines to Windows. The Recovery Console is a powerful tool that can repair or wipe out Windows using 13 dos commands and its own commands and is for use when you can't access Windows and it's GUI. If you can get into Safe Mode with a Dos Prompt, your best bet is to use it to get to System Restore's gui by putting in a simple command or two. These links also context and explain Last Known Good:

1) Posts 284723, 284948 Using F8: The Windows Advanced Options Menu Screen with Screen Shots; System Restore from Safe Mode Command Prompt

2) Post 279109 How To Use Safe Mode with Command Prompt to System Restore

3) Post 283125: Contexting the Recovery Console as a Tool in Win 2K and Win XP

4) Post 283049, 283092, 283101 Same Thread; Installing and Using the Recovery Cosole in Windows XP; Collected Articles on the Recovery Console; Dealing With Recovery Console Password Issues; Insuring Recovery Console Access in Win XP Pro through Group Policy Editor in the MMC

5) Post 284537 Using System Restore and the Recovery Console to Get Back to Windows

hth,

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm delighted to get that info about safe mode; it did, indeed, confuse me. What happened before the last post is (and I don't have this exactly as my daughter, at another site did it after we received this advice)put in the XP CD and checked "fix it" or something like that. Most thngs seem to be working at the moment, though we'll see. I forgot to tell her to consider a system rollback at this point. Anyway, thanks very much, we may well need the Recovery Console. (It's interesting that in the info under Help of the Recovery Console MS recommends only advanced users try it.--it sounds like it gets a bit complex, though the KB URL's you included may well simplify it. I'll look them over, as needed.

Re the Dell: I know about the sales, and will stay on top of that: So far, a fairly good system (non power user of course) for $1,168: not bad for a 5100 laptop, compared to a couple of years ago [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

kdoc (keith)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The Recovery Console does merit respect, and I'm sure if you are thoroughly versed in those commands and it, you are much better off--but MS often says a lot of things are for advanced users. I wouldn't go to the Recovery Console until I had exhausted other boot discs or recovery discs, I like Safe Mode with a Command Prompt for System Restore because it's quick and easy and can't hurt anything and works a reasonable percent of the time.

One of my biggest laughs is their caveat about the registry--which of course you should backup and its use merits care--(and they help a lot by naming keys and values things that are intuitive like "Primrose Path"--which one? in Redmond, in front of the Longhorn or on the hills of Blackcomb--I haven't figured that out)--yet there are a couple thousand KB's at least that have regedits as the major remedy.

It can be useful to load the Recovery Console onto your hard drive as a boot option, and convenient for one of it's best and most underused functions that usually has nothing to do with an emergency procedure--running "Chksk /r" as the most comprehensive and potent chkdsk from the recovery console.

Help and Support is really underused and not touched by a lot of people and that's unfortunate, because they have beefed it up--has a lot of good info and it links to articles as well as to KB's in XP.

Glad your daughter seem to be back to normal on the emachine.

SMBP