New Lounger
    Thanks

OUTLOOK Mail Folder (2K/SR3 - XP)

Hello,
    I go back and forth between a desktop running windows XP and Office 2000 and a Notebook running Windows XP and Office 2002. I can easily save contacts, notes, tasks, etc.. and restore them on the other system without problems. However, I haven't figured a way to save and restore my e-mail folder. It saves OK, but Office tells me that I have no right to restore it? So, I discovered that I could drag my messages from the Office folders to any other folders in My Documents, for instance. It's a bit cumbersome. I would like to use an Office command such as "Save as", but I've yet to find one. Any clues?

Thank you,
    Charles

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OUTLOOK Mail Folder (2K/SR3 - XP)

The way in which I would do this would be to copy my PST file from one machine to the other. I am not not sure - from what you are saying - that you are doing the same thing. Could you explain a bit more about your set-up?
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to copy the PST file from one system to the other but It only works going from 2K to XP. When I want to do the reverse I get this same message about not being allowed to use the file. This is why I tried to do it folder by folder. Could it be that Office XP modified the format of the PST file in a way which would prevent 2K to read it? What bothers me most is not to be able to copy my message folders back and forth since I also have a PDA which allows me to sync everything else.
    Charles

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Your problem might have something to do with NTFS file access permissions. It sounds as if you may have Admin rights locally over your laptop but not over your desktop. In some systems, IT Admins are prepared to let Users have Admin rights over their local machines. Have you tried asking your IT Admin whether that's possible for your desktop?
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

My desktop is not part of a company network. It's standalone. I effectively use NTFS. How could I find out what my Users Admin settings are?
    Thank You. Charles

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you are logging on to the desktop using an account with Administrator rights (not necessarily THE Administrator account), then you should not be receiving those messages. Try looking in Control Panel|Users to see what rights the account you are using does have.
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

is outlook closed when you try to copy the file?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I use the Export / Import function of Outlook. So, Outlook is open.
    Charles