5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jet Engine problem (XP/2K)

I have a data entry form that is based on one table, with a number of DLookups on it. Recently when I use the form I get the message- "The microsoft Jet Engine will not allow you to change records since you and another user are both trying to change them." (approx.). When this happened at the client I thought there was a problem with 2 users , but it just happened on my laptop when no one else is running the program. Even more strange is that I got the message when I tried to make design changes on the form.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Jet Engine problem (XP/2K)

It sounds like you may have a lock file that should have been deleted at some point, but was not. Exit Access on your laptop, and then check for the existance of a file with the same name as your database, in the same folder, that has a .ldb extension.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can cause this in 2002 in several ways depending on how your form is set up. Are there any subforms involved? The most common cause is a subform based on the same table as the main form or several subforms based on queries on the same table..
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

there are sub forms, however they are not based on the same query. But, there is a function that updates a recordset that might be clashing now that you point this out.
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's a very common cause of that kind of conflict, so I would follow up on that idea.
    Charlotte