New Lounger
    Thanks

Macro to Insert Letterhead (Word 2002 (sp2))

Looking for macro language that would insert a letterhead template (File | New | General Templates) into the active document.

Thanks

Re: Macro to Insert Letterhead (Word 2002 (sp2))

I assume the Insert>File... command is too blunt an instrument to meet your needs...

Can you describe your scenario in more detail? If it's a blank document, you'd be better off just creating the letter from the template in the first place. If it's a document that contains some content and you need to merge new content into it without breaking anything, you probably will have to do it in pieces. For example, you could copy and paste the first page header contents from the template to the document, the main header contents, the body, and so forth. You can push the letterhead template's styles into the active document, reset its margins, and so forth. I guess the question is to what extent it's "worth it." Will this be something that needs to be done on a frequent basis?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Instead of beginning the document using the letterhead template, the scenario is that after several drafts (versions) of a brief or operating agreement, I've been asked if there is way to add letterhead to the final document. We've been opening a new template and doing the copy/paste back to the final document. Thanks.

Thanks

I have an old macro for this, it dates from 1999 with many edits and is a disaster to read, so I've decided not to post it. Here's the general idea of what it does:

In your letter template, you have the following:
    (1) The "top" of a letter stored as an AutoText entry. (e.g., from the date through Dear Joe: )
    (2) The "bottom" of a latter stored as an AutoText entry. (e.g., from Sincerely, to the end)
    (3) If applicable, the first page header contents as an AutoText entry. (e.g., logo & address)

A button to run a macro that does things like this:

Templates(Path).AutoTextEntries("LetterTop").Insert _
    Where:=Selection.Range, RichText:=True

There are a variety of ways to refer to the correct template. My old code is in a global template, so it loops through all of the open templates, matches the file name, and extracts the full path name. If you are attaching the template to the document, you can changed the above to AttachedTemplate.AutoTextEntries...

Hope this helps.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Along the lines of what Jefferson said, but without a macro, you could create an autotext entry of your letterhead in a frame & place it in a global or letter template. You could name it something like LH, & then insert it by typing LH & pressing F3.