3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help.. Multiple Problems

Hi All,

#1) For a little while, we have been getting error messages upon reboot. These come early in the boot cycle and appear as a DOS screen. Usually there are multiple, and identical messages that say something like "cannot update file %1 from %2". Then at the bottom it informs us that files were not updated correctly and windoze may not run or run correctly. In spite of these messages, things seemed to go along all right and since I REALLY hate messing with the OS, I let it go, plus, there was no indication of what the correct course of action might be.

#2) When the latest virus hit, my wife informed me she thought the computer was running very slow. I thought perhaps we were infected. I tried to update our virus scanner's pattern file, but was unsuccessful. As part of that effort, we were advised to go to MicroSoft's update center and update our critical files. Now I was desparate, so I did that. The MS site determined that I should update about 18 critical files. Being a fool, I said OK.

#3) As a result, our Outlook Express is broken. We can send no e-mails, the address book won't load. All the error messages say to reload OE. Problem is, all of this stuff came pre-installed from Dell and I have no original disks.

Is there any way out of this mess? I bend to the collective wisdom of this assembledge. All thoughts welcome.

Douglas, disgruntled in Minnesota

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Help.. Multiple Problems

Ouch. No WinMe CD at all? Have you tried the System Restore Feature?

In WinME: Click Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore, choose Restore My Computer To An Earlier Time,Click Next, Select an earlier date to restore to and click next. Your System will reboot.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help.. Multiple Problems

Thanks, Cowboy. I'll try that.

Douglas