5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook neophyte seeks advice (97 / 2000)

I would like to automate an Outlook email procedure for a collegue. Can anybody tell me whether this idea is feasible in Outlook 97 and 2000 (versions in use by my collegue at his office).

People will send email to my collegue with attached Excel files. The subject line will always begin with "LODM auto update: ", followed by a customerID (e.g. "AA0003"). The attached Excel file must be saved into a specific folder using a filename generated from information in the subject line: (e.g.) i:updatesincomingAA0003.xls

Pretty simple stuff, but I do not use Outlook personnally, so I don't know any of its programming capabilities. Does Outlook support VBA or is is a watered-down version? What kind of interface would be presented to the user? Can it be done exclusively with email filters.

any advice or air-code would be appreciated.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook neophyte seeks advice (97 / 2000)

Outlook 97 has a VBA Object Model, but no Visual Basic Editor. If you want to manipulate it, you'll have to do it from another application that does have a VBA editor, such as Excel. You can download an Automation for Office 97 help file from <!mskb=167223>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 167223<!/mskb>. This file contains code examples and tips for automating one Office application from another.

Outlook 2000 does have a VBA editor, I think, but for compatibility reasons you might prefer using Excel there too. The Automation for Office 2000 help file is available from <!mskb=260410>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 260410<!/mskb>.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK - I wrote some code in Excel to process the files. Works fine. Two questions remain:

1. My computer has Outlook 98 installed on it. So I referenced the Outlook 98 object model in my code. What will happen when we try to run this code on a computer with either Outlook 97 or Outlook 2000? Do I need some code to dynamically change the reference to the correct version, or is "Outlook = Outlook"

2. I found a book titled "Microsoft Office 97 Visual Basic Programmers Guide" from Microsoft Press after posting my initial message. In the Outlook section, they state that such programming can be done entirely within Outlook by using forms and VBScript. However, when I click Tools > Forms > Design a Form on the menu in Outlook 98, nothing happens. Your point about no VBA editor is understood, but I wonder what is the Forms menu item about? Is something else required beyond standard Outlook to be able to design forms?

Thanks for your help.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you're happy with what you've got in Excel, I would recommend sticking with it. The Outlook Object Model is backwards compatible - so the 98 Object Model should work for 2000. It may well also work for 97, but my knowledge of 97 is very hazy.
    Gre

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My experience is that the reference to the Outlook ... Object Model/Library will update itself automatically if you move "up" from 97 to 98, but not if you move "down" from 98 to 97. I suspect it's similar between 98 and 2000, but I don't have 2000.

Programming in Outlook 97 and 98 is severely limited: you can use VBScript to automate "forms" (when you create a new e-mail, that is a form), but that's it. I have very little experience with Outlook forms, others will be much better able to help you if you need it.