Lounger
    Thanks

Word fillin fields (Word 2000)

I have word templates that are called from Access 2K and that use custom docprop fields. The fields in the document (based on the template) are filed in from information in the Access database. Some of the templates also use Fillin fields together with the docprop fields. In the templates that use both Fillin and Docprop fields, I've found that the fillin fields pop up twice. First cycling through the fields, then start over again showing the information I just entered. I cannot seem to resolve this issue. I have no autoexec, etc. type macros associated with the templates or in Normal.dot or in the Startup folder that call for updating fields. The "Update Fields" box is not checked In Options. Am I missing something? At the least can someone point me to an explanation somewhere?

Sure do miss the search function.

Thanks

Bill B

Thanks

Re: Word fillin fields (Word 2000)

If you step through your code, can you determine what, if anything, is triggering the FILLIN fields either the first or the second time?

(I never use FILLIN fields, so I don't know what is "normal," but if they are like ASK fields, something needs to be done to kick off the process.)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bill:
    Yes, this is a problem with fillin fields. See Fillin Field Prompts Twice (WD2000) (Q211597). Basically, there are 4 ways to prevent it.
    Method 1: Remove the AutoNew Macro [or modify]
    Method 2: Lock the Fillin Fields & then Use AutoNew Macro
    Method 3: Use Form Fields
    Method 4: Use the Ask field

Cheers,

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. Looks like this is a problem with Word according to a response from Phil...haven't had time to check out his references but will be doing that. Interestingly, one of the "work-arounds" is to use Ask fields. So, here comes a mass conversion!!

Regards and thanks for the input.

Bill B.

Lounger
    Thanks

I was hoping that that would NOT be the answer. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the response and the pointer to the Knowledge Base article. I'll check it out, but it looks like there is going to be a massive conversion to Ask fields. The nature of most of the templates do not lend themselves well to form fields. But at least now I have some direction.

Thanks ever so much.

Regards,

Bill B