New Lounger
    Thanks

no icons or taskbar on desktop

Hi!

I read the post from 8/24/03 "no start or icons", and my situation is exactly the same. After loading the game "Hard Truck", no icons, taskbar, or start menu on the desktop. Tried your recommendation of restoring from a previous date (tried all 5 dates listed) and still getting a blank screen. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: no icons or taskbar on desktop

If you boot into safe mode, do you have icons, start menu, etc?

Have not seen the other thread you mention, but you might start with several good registry cleaners...System Mechanic, Advanced Registry Optimizer, etc. They might find some stuff that needs to be gone.

Also, if you can boot into safe mode and 1) uninstall the game, and/or 2) go to start/run and type "msconfig", you might be able to prevent any programs from loading that might cause this.

I am assuming that you are accessing the Lounge from another PC where you can get to a dial up icon or DSL?

Generally speaking, I have found that if you can boot into safe mode, the problem is usually curable.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: no icons or taskbar on desktop

I posted the original message about this problem. I got the same result when booting to safe mode, doing a step by step boot, restoring the registry to an earlier date. Nothing seemed to work. I ended up reformatting and starting over. In my case I accidently let the game Marine Sniper install Direct X 8 over version 8.1. I think that is what caused it but who knows. I did install the game on the newly formatted drive without DX 8, installed DX 8.1 and it all works fine. Bad news I know.