3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error after copy (2000)

I copied a database to another folder, and now i get this warning when i start up the new database..

Anyone know how to turn it off ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error after copy (2000)

The following questions are very stupid, so please forgive me; it's just to makes sure.

1. Have you checked that the .mdb file is not read-only? If you used a CD-ROM to copy the database, the copy will be read-only by default.
    2. Do you have sufficient permissions in the folder where the copy resides? Access requires that you have full rights in the folder.
    3. Are you sure that nobody else is using the database? Check if a stray .ldb file has been left behind; if so, delete it.
    4. You do have at least version SP1, I hope? There were problems with the original version of Access 2000.
    5. You're certain it's not an Access 97 database?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

1. Have you checked that the .mdb file is not read-only? If you used a CD-ROM to copy the database, the copy will be read-only by default.

<font color=blue>I didn't use a cd-rom, it was just one network folder to another, but it WAS set to read only. I changed the selection box, but it has made no difference.</font color=blue>

2. Do you have sufficient permissions in the folder where the copy resides? Access requires that you have full rights in the folder.

<font color=blue>I copied over the workgroup to the new folder, and the shortcut points to the new workgroup inside the shortcut.</font color=blue>

3. Are you sure that nobody else is using the database? Check if a stray .ldb file has been left behind; if so, delete it.

<font color=blue>No LDB files seen for the new version anywhere. tried deleting existing old one, but as i expected its open so it won't let me. </font color=blue>

4. You do have at least version SP1, I hope? There were problems with the original version of Access 2000.

<font color=blue>Windows 2000 with the latest service pack installed.</font color=blue>

5. You're certain it's not an Access 97 database?

<font color=blue>Positive,. Its 2000.</font color=blue>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,

Thanks for the answers. Actually, with question #2 I meant whether the user has create/write/modify/delete rights in the folder itself (something the network administrator shoild be able to verify, and change if necessary).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AHA !!!!

Hans, as always you hit the nail on the head.

The directory is a special one, in that everybody has read permission only in that directory.. I guess access pick this up
    from windows and hence the message ????

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even if you want to give users only read access to a database, they still must have read and write (and create/delete) rights in the folder that contains the database; this is because of the way Access works. For one thing, Access creates an .ldb file in the same folder, with information about who is working in the database.

So you must either move the database to a folder where users have modify rights, or ask the network administrator to give them modify rights in the folder where the database is now.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is a fairly common situation because network administrators often do not understand that Access doesn't work quite like some other products and they can't restrict users to read-only permissions and have the thing work. Depending on the network in use, it might be possible to set overall permissions on the folder and then set specific permissions on the database file itself, but the ldb file can only be created and deleted with write, modify and delete permissions. Otherwise, you may be able to use the database but only one person at a time.
    Charlotte