2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opening Email from a form (2002)

Hello

I have a form with a field to store an email address for a customer, how can I open a new email message ready to use when I click the email address on the form?

Regards
    Hayden

PS I have tried to set the Data Type in the table thats stores the address as a hyperlink but that seems to open a web address

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening Email from a form (2002)

You can use code like this in an event handler:

Application.FollowHyperlink "mailto:" & Me.txtEMail

where txtEmail is the name of the text box.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

I think I have understood what you have said but when the email opens, the 'To:' address looks something like this: hayden@woodys.co.uk#<a href="http://...odys.co.uk</a>#

I have tried setting the data type to text and then back to hyperlink but I get the same result.

Also just to confirm:

I have inserted the line of code into the 'On Click' event of the text box, is this correct?

Regards
    Hayden

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A hyperlink field is in reality a memo field, the text consists of three parts separated by # characters. The first and last part can be empty.
    First part: display text
    Middle part: hyperlink address or mailto: address
    Last part: subaddress, for instance a bookmark within a document. Must be empty for mailto: addresses.

If your field is a text field, you don't need all those parts, so you should remove everything except the middle part between the # characters. If necessary, you can use an update query for this.

If your field is a hyperlink field, you should insert mailto: in front of the middle part; you won't need code at all then, for clicking the hyperlink will then automatically generate an e-mail.

You can use the On Click event, but that means that the user won't be able to enter or edit anything. You might use On Dbl Click instead.