3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs.db (XP w/SP1)

I am on a network with shared folders. I want to delete a personal folder of an employee that no longer works here. The only thing in the folder is a Thumbs.db. When I try to delete this folder the system tells me: "Thumbs.db is a system file. Your computer or one of your programs may no longer work correctly. Do you want to delete?" Of course, I click no. What exactly is a Thumbs.db. I know I've seen several of them in different folders. How do they get created? How can I delete this folder from the network? Do you ever delete a Thumbs.db?
    Thanks!

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Thumbs.db (XP w/SP1)

From PCWORLD

What's up with Thumbs.db. If a folder's options are set to let you view all files, you may see a new file called Thumbs.db in that folder. This is the folder's thumbnails database. If you don't see Thumbs.db, choose View, Folder Options, click the View tab, select "Show all files" in the Advanced settings list, and click OK. Each folder with a thumbnail view will have its own Thumbs.db file; and the more files a folder contains, the larger its Thumbs.db file will be. So if you're getting tight on disk space, it pays to keep track of how much space these files occupy. To see their cumulative size, choose Start, Find, Files or Folders, type Thumbs.db in the Name field, choose Local hard drives for "Look in," and click Find Now. Press Ctrl-A to select all the found files, and press Alt-Enter to display a Properties dialog box that shows the total disk space consumed.

If thumbnails are crowding your hard drive, consider changing the View menu setting to something other than Thumbnails. Then display the Properties for the folder as explained above, and uncheck "Enable thumbnail view." Doing this deletes the Thumbs.db file for that folder. Repeat for as many folders as desired.

Lounger
    Thanks

I just delete them. If it's a folder you are keeping, Windows creates a new one should you choose thumbnail view again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, guys. That is just what I needed to know!