rogerpb

wrong association

If I receive a doc attachment, OE will not load it as a word(97) document, although this is the defined association. Instead, it attempts to install Word2000, which I thought I had deleted ages ago. Only if Winword97 is already running is the document loaded.

How do I get OE to recognize the correct association? I have searched the registry in vain, and advice to see my system administrator is useless, as I dont have one!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: wrong association

Usually, incorrect file associations can be fixed by:

In Explorer, Tools/Folder Options/File Types
    Delete all reference to .doc extensions.
    Try and open a .doc from Explorer by double-clicking -
    this should bring up a message to the effect that no program has been associated with '.doc'.
    You then select 'Word' and 'always use this program'.

I don't know if the fact you have uninstalled Word 2K may mean there some remnants in the registry causing a problem.

What happens if you double click a .doc file now - will it open in Word 97 - or do you get a similar error?

Thanks

Further to my post - please check out the Installing 97 after 2000 thread under the General Office forum.

rogerpb

Leif:
    Such references to doc files as are there are in the associations are all associated with Winword 97. And if Winword 97 is pre-loaded, they all start happily with it.
    But if it is not loaded, Windows attempts to install Winword 2000, and gives an error message when it cannot find the CD. Similary, attempting to open a .doc file on the desktop, or attached in OE results in an attempt to start the install program (an .msi file?) I hunted through the registry and the associations but failed to find any solution. Reinstalling Winword and the latest OE update made no difference....