3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

template & toolbar (2000)

How can I tell what template the doc in use is based on?

Also, a custom toolbar I made keeps getting indented half way across the screen. I can't figure out why this is happening or why I can't stop it. I want it to start at the left edge like the other tool bars -- this didn't happen before. I don't know if it's associated with a couple of docs or a template that (I think) they both use.
    Thxs!

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: template & toolbar (2000)

Open the doc and then File > Properties > Summary will show which template it was based on. Drag the toolbar where you want it and then File > Page Setup > Default - and then answer "yes" to the prompt (which also IDs the template). This is in Office XP; I think it was the same in 2000.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Another way to find the template is Tools | Templates and Add-ins... The Document Template box lists the associated template.

Word should remember the position of toolbars, but all Office applications have an annoying habit of shifting them from time to time. The File | Page Setup dialog has nothing to do with the position of toolbars (sorry, Telo)

Lounger
    Thanks

"The File | Page Setup dialog has nothing to do with the position of toolbars (sorry, Telo)"

It asks if you want to change the default for the .dot in use - I figured it would do it. Thanks for keeping me in line Hans.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Telo:
    The default buttons that you find in the File/Page Setup...and in the Format/Font dialog boxes will change the default margins, etc. and font that's first used when you create a new document based on the attached template . i.e. it makes those changes in the attached tempalate...the same as if you opened the template directly and made changes. That's why it asks if you want to save those changes in the template.
    Cheers,

Thanks

Where is your toolbar stored? If it is saved in Normal.dot, close all documents, open Normal.dot directly, reposition the toolbar, add and delete a character from the body (so Word is sure to notice it was changed), save, and close Normal.dot, exit and re-open Word. Hopefully then it will stay put. If the toolbar is in a global template, same idea.