New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 97 to Office XP (Office XP)

Our company is changing from Office 97 to Office XP. I am looking for links to information on the real world experience of how easy or difficult the transition was. I have the Microsoft "XPdelta.pdf" document and have searched through Google.

Any links, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 97 to Office XP (Office XP)

Is there a particular application that gets the most use in your company? The biggest differences are mostly cosmetic except for the differences in file size caused by support for unicode in Office XP. Your company shouldn't have any real problem moving to Office XP from 97 and you'll find a lot to like there. One of the nifty things is the new clipboard, which can hold up to 12 (I think) items and you can pick and choose from among them. If you have any VBA programmers in house, they'll have to cope with some differences like the move to ADO, but DAO code still works just fine and you get some new functions and capabilities that were introduced in Office 2000 and more new ones from Office XP.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice! We use the Office standards: Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Access. We know about the Access issues. My main concerns are macros in Excel, and the general usability of Office XP without extensive training.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There are some differences in Word. I haven't used Word 2002, so it's pretty much from what I hear from others. The mail merge is quite diffferent & so are tracked changes. See <post#=272718>post 272718</post#>. Woody had a bunch of articles on tracked changes, if you look in the archives.(see W*W link at the bottom of screen). Styles are handled somewhat differently, too.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

FreeKnight--

These are some links that will help you with the comparison including videos comparing the two and also tours and mini tutorials to familiarize you with XP. MS has tips and help on their two main sites at Office Home @ www.microsoft.com/officeand Microsoft Office Toolas on the Web @ office.microsoft.com--using the version of the Office component, i.e. Word 2002 for example at Office Search.

What means much more than the links for me though is hearing from someone like Charlotte who has used these versions and developed for Access and other Office components or support programs, and written about these versions day in and day out or Phil who has used a number of Office versions.

Intro Office XP and Comparisons with Office 97

Office XP New Features with Screenshots Reviewed Paul Thurott Winsupersite
    Winsupersite Series of Reviews on Office XP with Screenshots
    Comparison Videos Office XP vs. Office 97
    Office XP Animated Tours and Demos
    Desktop Deployment Center
    Office XP in Depth
    Version Comparison: What's New for You
    Office XP Product Information
    Office XP Fast Facts

SMBP