4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Equipment Maintenance (2000/SR1)

This is a two part question. I am trying to develop a database to keep track of equipment and when maintenance was performed on it. The equipment that I am trying to track is forklifts and computers, which I realize is kind of diverse. The computers are installed on the forklifts. For the forklifts, I need to track the hours, which is from an hour meter on the forklift. We need to perform preventive maintenance on the forklifts about every 200 hours. I want the database to tell me when they are due for maintenance and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get it to show me the last hour reading and then also to calculate when we have reached 200 hours since the last maintenance. Anyone have any ideas on that.
    The second part of my question is that I'm wondering if I'm trying to re-invent the wheel. There are commercial programs out there that do this but they are more than what we really need. Does anyone know of a free or shareware database that is already avaialable? Thanks for the help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Equipment Maintenance (2000/SR1)

I can't help you with the second part, and you'll have to provide more info on the first part.

What is the hour reading? Is it cumulative, i.e. is each reading higher than or equal to the previous one?
    In what way is the last maintenance stored in the database? (In the same table or another table, in what form?)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to the questions posed by Hans, you need to consider if the meter re-sets itself (i.e. goes back to zero) after so many hours.

Regards,

Tom

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Don
    By using conditional formatting, you can set a form to show fifferent colours for the values of maintenance.
    See attached, it may give you some idea's to get you started.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Each reading is higher than the previous one. What I would like to be able to do is to record each reading, on a daily basis, so that I can look back and track how many hours we had on each machine at a particular time. (yes, this will create thousands of entries, I may have to off load some, at some point down the road). The way that I am planning to store this info, is to have the EquipmentID, Date & Reading. (I think that I can put in some kind of validation, so that it wouldn't allow a number lower than the previous one.) This would be a table seperate from the Equipment Table. I haven't figured out how to store the maintenance record. I actually haven't started building the database yet, just working on the setup. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Possible ingredients:

Table 1: Equipment, with primary key EquipmentID, plus fields containing general info about the equipment.
    Table 2: Meter readings, with composite primary key EquipmentID and date, plus meter reading and other specific info.
    Table 3: Maintenance, with composite primary key EquipmentID and date, plus info about maintenance.

Table 2 and Table 3 are linked to Table 1 by EquipmentID.

Query to calculate the last maintenance date in Table 3 on or before each date in Table 2 (with the same EquipmentID)
    Query to get the last meter reading on or before the last maintenance date.
    Query to calculate the number of hours in between, i.e. the number of hours since the last maintenance.