California, USA

NSC 4.08 to Mozilla 1.4 (Mozilla 1.4; Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 )

I am attempting to migrate from Netscape Communicator 4.08 to Mozilla 1.4; Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624. I'm tired of the email (messenger mailbox) failing when I encounter an email full of HTML code (or worse.) The symptoms I see are that all my resources are used up quickly and I am told in the task list that NSC is no longer responding.

I am also in the process of trying to move to a larger hard disk and to use my present disk for data files. I have partitioned the new disk with the intention that the OS will be in one partition, programs in another, and data in yet another.

When I installed Mozilla 1.4 the program did not find my email and ask if I wanted to import it from NSC 4.08.

I found the following workaround suggestion in a newsgroup:

*****'s how. Install Mozilla, creating a mail profile that duplicates the one for Netscape (actually, it should prompt you, asking if you want to convert!) Even if it doesn't, no problem.
    Once Mozilla has started, from Mozilla's mail client, click Edit>Mail and News Account Settings>[accountname]>Server Settings. Write down the path in the box labeled "Local Directory:" and click Cancel. Close Mozilla completely. (VERY important!)
    Go to the Netscape 4.x user profile directory (usually C:Program FilesNetscapeUsers[profile]) and click on the Mail directory.
    Sort the folder by extension. Now, select all the files without extensions. Hit CTRL-C (Copy)
    Open a second Explorer window pointed to the directory you wrote down in the second step, and right-click somewhere not on a file. Click on Paste. (alternative that sometimes works: use CTRL-V)
    Start Mozilla Mail. Your folders should be there. Filters will have to be recreated, and that's unfortunate, but not too difficult. Don't be alarmed by the apparently empty folders! Just left-click each one time and Mozilla will build the index files.

Hope this helps!
    I find that the "Local directory" path mentioned in step 2 is:

C:WINDOWSAPPLICATION DATAMozillaProfilesdefaultu8e3rlfp.sltMailLocal Folders

This suggests to me that the OS (Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A) may require that this folder be located here, i.e, under Windows. Mozilla is on the new disk in partition G at G:Program Filesmozilla.orgMozilla.

Part of what I had hoped to accomplish via my partitioning was to have some partitions which would not need to be defragmented regularly because they are not written to (data files are elsewhere) and others which need regular maintenance. Is this an impossible dream? Is the "Local Folders" address buried somewhere in the registry?

If I follow the path in the newsgroup suggestion, it appears to me that I will duplicate my NSC 4.08 mail folders in a new location on C: and probably fill or overfill the disk.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Re: NSC 4.08 to Mozilla 1.4 (Mozilla 1.4; Mozilla/

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by bigaldoc on 30-Aug-03 08:07. )</P>Here's what I think you need to do. From the START MENU, go to your Mozilla entry and you should find an entry called Profile Manager. Select it and run. When the profile manager opens, go through the process of creating a NEW profile and click the Choose Folder button. If I were in your shoes, I would just change the entry that's in the box to the partition LETTER of the drive where you want the profile directory to be stored. Next, when you are in Mozilla for the new profile you create, go to the mail client and create a new mail account and enter the settings for your ISP's mail servers, etc. as one normally would. I usually give this new mail account a "meaningful" name like IGLOU (my ISP) or HOSTONCE (my web host), otherwise by default Mozilla will use that Local Folders thingie. After you've done all that and CLOSE Mozilla, you should be able to open Windows Explorer and drill down to verify that Mozilla HAS created the folder and that you can find the Mail sub-folder.

Now, you can proceed with the instructions you found about copying the mail files from your old Netscape WITHOUT a filename suffix into the chosen Mozilla directory for mail.

By the way, you will end up with TWO Mozilla profiles after this is done and you can either tell Moz to delete the first one on the C: drive, OR you can just create a shortcut to the new one. It's been awhile since I've done that but I think you just tack the following onto the shortcut's properties: -P"profile name" (the quotes ARE required I think but I haven't tried it yet)

Edited to add: Correction on that last para. I just read something that said you add: -P profilename (a space, but NO quotes!)