2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blaster Confusion (XP Home)

I just upgraded my mom's computer. She now has XP Home. With the all the attention on blaster, plus the latest WWW 6.15, I have to confess that I'm confused about which updates and service patches to install.

Of course, the MS site is perfectly confusing.

Can anyone help me cut through the confusion and figure out what I should install?

I thank you. (And my mother thanks you.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Blaster Confusion (XP Home)

Neal, Service pack 1 first. Then all the critical fixes.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps even more important than the Microsoft updates is getting adequate protection.
    - Make sure that your mother has an anti-virus program installed, and explain how she can keep the virus definitions up to date.
    - Install a firewall; the ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) built into Windows XP is scorned by many, but it does an adequate job. Type firewall in Help and Support for instructions. Of course there are other firewalls with more features, such as ZoneAlarm.

After that, get the critical updates from Windows Update. As far as I know, there are no updates that cause problems at the moment. Since installing all of them takes a long time, I recommend not letting them be installed automatically, but to be prompted. Then, select a few at a time and install them.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans's comments are typically complete and accurate, IMHO.

A few references which might help:
    Protect Your PC - How to Ensure that your PC is Protected - this tells you, among other things, what to do to set up the built-in ICF firewall.

What You Should Know About Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-032 - a critical fix.

Blaster Worm: Critical Security Patch for Windows XP

And you really, really, need to ensure that your antivirus product has been updated recently to trap the W32/Sobig-F worm. Our company internet mail gateway is trapping them at a rate of about 10-20 per hour. We trap more Sobig-F viruses in a day than we trapped total viruses during the whole of July!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for your timely advice and support.

One of the very first things I did was install a brand new version of Norton Anti-Virus. What a relief. I did a system scan and it found the blaster virus, which provided the gentle kick in the ribs to update the patches, etc. I also installed Zone Alarm.

I will start the process of adding the updates, but I'm still leery. A senior MS escalation engineer dumped it into my system -- even after I mentioned the WWW bulletin about it's deleterious effects -- and it scrambled my system. Thank goodness for restore points.

Have they worked out the bugs in the updates? Is it safe to just install them all, albeit one at a time. (Which reminds me. My mom only feels comfortable with dial-up, even with her very powerful new system. The downloads could really take a long time. Should we just send for the disk from MS?)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can download the installation files for the updates on a PC with a broadband connection, burn them to CD, and install them on your mother's PC from this CD. See the recent thread starting at <post#=288426>post 288426</post#>.

There were serious problems with some updates earlier this year, and for I while I delayed installing them. But Microsoft has successfully solved the problems, I think, and I have installed all updates on my XP Home without trouble.