HOWARD_MCDONALD

File Save Problems

I am trying to help someone with an Excel file problem.

She is using this file from a Novell network and has the file stored on a network drive. She has been using and editing this file for quite a while.

Last Friday, when she tried to save the file, it would display a dialog box that said "Save Not Completed. File Rename Failed. Retry?" and offered a Retry and Cancel button.

She says she hit the Cancel button and got another error: "Your changes could not be saved to '00122905.xls' but were saved to a temporary document named '6EBD3000'. Close the existing document then open the temporary document and save it under a new name."

She could not find this temporary document when she looked for it. She tried to save the file several times throughout the day and this same sequence kept repeating itself.

I can not duplicate the problem on my machine and we are at different locales, so I can not go to her machine to see it happen.

As I said, she is on a Novell network - could this be a network problem?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Howard McDonald

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Save Problems

Hi,

There is a knowledge base article- for Excel 2000 see http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q223/8/07.ASP

I don't know whether anything there applies.

It's possible that there's not enough space for the file.Check out space on both her local and the network drives.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I see this occasionally on Novell servers where I work. It seems to have something to do with Novell and antivirus products. We had this problem with some of the updates from McAfee. It seems to come and go with no logical pattern. Usually, the file that was created could be immediately re-opened and saved as the original filename without consequence.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Howard,

I am having a similar problem using Novell/McAfee. Mine definitely seems to be firewall related since this error does not occur with the firewall disabled. One note for finding the temporary document name. You will have to find it using Explorer because Excel does not save it with a file extension. That document will have her changes.

Does your user share this file with anyone else? It may be that someone else has gotten into the file just as she was closing and saving it.

Good Luck with your problem and keep me posted if you find a permanent solution..I haven't (shutting off the virus software on the network is a no-no)

HOWARD_MCDONALD

Thanks to All

Thanks to all those who have posted responses. At this point, I have forwarded the gist of these to the person I'm trying to help out. Based on the feedback, as well as the history of the network at her place, we both think it's network-related.

I appreciate all the help - each message had something we could glom onto and use.

Howard McDonald