Thanks

Outlook uses old email address (2000 and 2002 (XP))

Something that has happened today to both me (using Outlook 2000, IMO mode) and to my wife (using Outlook XP). We have each sent emails to someone (not the same person) and typed the name of the person concerned in the To: field. Outlook, it turns out later, has sent the emails to addresses that are not the currently held addresses for the recipients concerned. In both cases, they were addresses that these people previously used, and we previously held as their addresses. But we have both searched our address books and contacts, and we have not retained the addresses anywhere there. (For example, in my friend's case, I only have one email address for him, the new one, there is nothing recorded as email 2 or email 3, and even in a group he is a member of, the right (new) email address is shown.)

Why would Outlook revert to using an address that we have deleted? Does it somehow retain a trace of it? And how can prevent this happening?

Ian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook uses old email address (2000 and 2002 (XP))

it's in the nickname file. find and delete *.nick in ol2000 and *.NK2 in outlook 2002. enable the advanced option for hidden files and folders in winxp's search to find them.

Thanks

Outlook maintains a file called a "nickname" file that stores previously sent-to addresses. These are hidden away, and independent of your address book, as you can see.

For Outlook 2000, this file has a .NICK extension and Microsoft offers a tool to edit the file (you can search for it at microsoft.com). For Outlook 2002, this file has a .NK2 extension, and Microsoft has not released an editor for it. (If you rename or delete the file, Outlook starts building the list from scratch again.)

From inside Outlook, you have another option: sometimes if you type the first part of a name a box will pop up showing two (or more?) matching options (e.g., a Steve and a Stephen when you type ste). You can use the Delete key to clear whichever suggested name is highlighted (use the arrow keys to move up or down the list). I don't know if this works when there is only one person who matches.

Thanks

Thanks. I found the tool for editing the nickname file, eventually. Though searching the microsoft site for 'nickname' and suchlike search terms does no good at all. The microsoft search facility is not very useful. In case anyone else is interested, search for knowledge base article 242074.

The editor seems to just let you delete a nickname, or all of them. It doesn't seem to show what email address is associated with the name.

I will try that, and if necessary try deleting the *.nick file. On my wife's PC we'll try deleting the *.NK2 file.

Presumably Outlook is meant to update the addresses the file associates with the names, but the file can be corrupted, and it isn't updated correctly, say if Outlook isn't closed properly, perhaps because of a crash. Is that right?

Ian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i think it takes more than outlook not closing properly, i rarely see corruption (the last I can remember is with ol2000, many years ago) and often purposly crash outlook. We use NTFS instead of fat32, which seems to help prevent problems as well.

Thanks

'often purposely crash outlook' - I'm sure I'll regret asking, but why?

Ian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I do software testing and sometimes they crash it. Other times i get impatient and force it to exit.