3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Parameter Request (2K SP3)

Help! I have two forms: a menu and a data entry form. On the data entry form, there is a tab control with several tabs. On one tab there are three cascading combo boxes ie the data selected in the first one determines the available choices in the second and so on. The first two combo boxes have refresh on update events.

When I open the data entry form from the main menu, click on the tab with the three combos, make a change to any of the combos, then exit the form back to the main menu, two parameter prompts appear. The parameters will be the link fields between combos 2 and 1 then combos 3 and 2. Even if I only click on the tab with the combos, then exit, the prompts will appear. However, if I only open the data entry form, then exit without clicking on the tab with the combos, it will exit without the prompts.

What's going on? Can I automatically cancel the prompts somehow? Is this a bug in Access? How do I stop the parameter prompts?

In desperation,
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Parameter Request (2K SP3)

Are there other events in which you refresh/requery the combo boxes?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. Nothing at all.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm... Could you post a stripped down version of the database, so that Loungers can have a look at it?
    <UL><LI>Make a copy of the database and work with that.
    <LI>Remove all database objects (tables, queries, forms, reports, macros and modules) that are not relevant to the problem.
    <LI>In the remaining table(s), remove most records - leave only the minimum number necessary to demonstrate the problem.
    <LI>Remove or modify data of a confidential nature.
    <LI>Do a compact and repair (Tools/Database Utilities).
    <LI>Make a zip file containing the database; it should be below 100KB.
    <LI>Attach the zip file to a reply.[/list]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am just in the process of preparing this. I've discovered that if I close the data entry form using the command button, the parameter prompt occurs. But if I use the close button on the top right, no prompts appear!!

How can that be explained?

Now a few minutes later, I've stripped out everything non-essential and confidential, and I can't repeat the problem! Arggghhh!

Back to the drawing board!

Are there any clues about how an Access form behaves using the Windows Close button vs a wizard generated command Close button?
    Thanks

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I've had similar problem with bogus parameter prompts when running A2K format databases in AXP. Problem occurs when RowSource for combo or listbox on form, or form's RecordSource, has a reference to the form, such as Forms!Form1!Combo1. Problem does not occur when running same database in A2K. My solution was to replace command button's DoCmd.Close statement with Windows PostMessage API function. See previous post to see if this may be related to problem you are experiencing:

<!post=Parameter value (Access 2002),279408>Parameter value (Access 2002)<!/post>

HTH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent! Your Windows PostMessage API function solution worked.

Before I tried your solution, I tried removing all other code from the data form, leaving DoCmd.Close only, and the prompt still came up, so that confirmed what you were suggesting in the previous post.

You reported this prompt occurring in A2K format dbs used in AXP. I was using an A2K format in A2K. It's the darndest thing I've ever seen, well almost.

Thank you immmensely!