3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change footer in new Section (Word 2002)

I am creating a long document (around 30 pages) and will have three sections. In my second Section, I wanted to change the footer name AND start numbering this Section as Page 1 of X Pages. I have not been successful at either. I clicked in the first page of Section Two, went to View > Headers & Footers>, clicked on the Same As Previous button to turn it off, changed my footer title and deleted the numbering and retyped it. The title and the numbering changed for Section One and Section Two.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change footer in new Section (Word 2002)

Did you make sure to turn off Same as Previous in the footer? Headers and footers act independently in this respect. Your description sounds as if you turned off Same as Previous in the header.

Also, just deleting the numbering and reinserting it is not enough to start numbering at 1 again. You will have to set this in the Numbering dialog.

In the third place, if you want the number of pages per section, use the SECTIONPAGES field instead of the NUMPAGES field.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! Thank you.
    I didn't realize that I had to turn off the Same As Previous button in both the Header and the Footer.
    Also, I was able to follow your instructions and set the Footer to number according to each Section.
    It's great to have found friends who can answer these questions.
    Thank you again. I'm a happy camper!
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans you are a guru! Perhaps you can help with my very frustrating problem with page numbers. A page number that I have in Section 2 keeps appearing on the second page of Section 2. I have the same header throughout the document, but want Section 3 to start numbering at 1. The first page of section 3 begins with page 1. The second page (even though the footer shows same as previous) picks up numbering from Section 2.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't reproduce this. Could you attach a demo document showing this behavior? Replace the text in the document itself with a few dummy lines.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans you are a guru! Perhaps you can help with my very frustrating problem with page numbers. A page number that I have in Section 2 keeps appearing on the second page of Section 2. I have the same header throughout the document, but want Section 3 to start numbering at 1. The first page of section 3 begins with page 1. The second page (even though the footer shows same as previous) picks up numbering from Section 2.

Hans...Here's what I think the problem is...Section 2 has a setting for different first page (File, Page Setup, Layout, Different First Page). This setting is copied when you create Section 3. In section 3, go into File, Page Setup, Layout and make sure that Different First Page is not checked.

When you have Different First Page set, you get First Page Footer and Footer as you probably have in Section 2. When you create section 3, if you turn off Same As Previous for First Page Footer, the sequent page footer (called Footer) is still connected to the previous section.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I take it that it's meant for Trinka.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

My guess is that the page numbering does not in fact restart at Section 3. Check the first page footer in section 3 and verify that the page number you see is actually a field rather than a typed in number.

You can determine whether the section is restarting the page numbering by putting your cursor in the first page of section 3 and looking at the status bar in the bottom left corner and seeing which page Word tells you it is currently on.

If this doesn't reveal your problem, you will need to post a sample file so we can have a look at it.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia