Thread: shortcut menus

New Lounger
    Thanks

shortcut menus

w2000,office97. My right click menus seem to get reset if I click a selection that spans an entire row. How to I stop Excel from performing this reset? I tried cancel=yes, but that kills the display of the menu altogether. How can I trigger the display of the shortcut menu at that point?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: shortcut menus

Can you tell us what you mean by reset? In my Excel 97, the right click menu is different if I right click on an entire row selection rather than a single cell. However, the changes remove things that don't make sense in the different contexts and adds things that do. However, there is a pop up context menu for both.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

my code adds eight new options to the shortcut menu on this worksheet whenever there is a rightclick event. If I right click anywhere but on an "entirerow" selection, it shows what I want: the MS options plus my eight additional ones. But when I click on such a selection, all of my eight options just don't appear at all and I get the standard shortcut menu. So it looks like MS has "reset" the shortcut menu when it sees the entirerow selection.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Could you place a call to whatever routine initialises the right click menu in the workbook SheetBeforeRightClick e,g, :-

Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeRightClick(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    <font color=448800>Call Right_Click_Menu</font color=448800>
    End Sub

That code should be placed in the Workbook object, as opposed to a module.

Andrew C

New Lounger
    Thanks

In the module for the worksheet I use:
    Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Excel.Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    Call Module1.SiteMapSetMenu
    End Sub
    I do not have any charts, so simple BeforeRightClick call should work. So you see, my shortcut routine is executed, but then it seems to get reset because MS is noticing that there is a full row selected and it does something different than normal. I wish I knew the program that MS executes as the "normal" response to a rightclick, so I could "cancel" this one, run my own routine and follow it with a call to the standard MS display, but I can't find that routine anywhere in the help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, did you mean that the actual SiteMapSetMenu program needs to be in the worksheet area rather than a module? If so, that is peculiar, as it always works the way I have it now EXCEPT when I first select an entire row and then right click within that selection.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Would you mind posting a copy of the workbook, blank except for the routine that sets up the custom menu.

It is difficult to say exactly, without knowing the structure of the workbook. I just thought that when you right click on a worksheet, the menu could be re - initialised, if there was a call to it. It was just a suggestion to try a workaround to your problem. Actually, if you are going to try it, you should place it in the Workbook object (Workbook_SheetBeforeRightClick) , at it will then operate for all sheets.

Andrew

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you put your selections in the shortcut menu for the Whole Row selected context? There are different context menues for each possible context. Putting your commands in one of them will not put them in all of them.
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

Hi,
    I think Legare is right - certainly in Excel 2000 there are (at least) 3 separate right-click menus. Commandbar 23 is what appears if you right-click a cell (or group of cells), commandbar 24 appears if you right-click an entire column and commandbar 25 if you right-click an entire row. So Excel is not resetting your custom menu - it's just not displaying it. If you need your menu items to appear in all circumstances, I'd suggest adding them to all three commandbars.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your input. I think you are exactly right that there are three different menus that MS uses based on context of the selection. Do you know of any way for me to test which context I am in so I know what menu is about to be displayed? Or should I just change all of them?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I answered my own question this time: I can just check the selections. Thanks your help, all of you.