3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't check for new mail when starting up? (2002)

Am I going mad? I could have sworn that there was an option in OL2002 to tell it not to check for new mail when starting up. Is there? Where is it?

Thanks.

Stuart

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Don't check for new mail when starting up? (2002)

On the Tools menu, click Options...
    Click the Mail Setup tab.
    Clear the 'Send immediately when connected' check box.
    Click OK.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nope. That's something different - the option determines if an outgoing mail goes as soon as you click "send" or whether it waits for the next scheduled Send/Receive. I always leave it unchecked, in case I want to recall a message, attach the attachment that I've forgotten, whatever.

What I'm after is something to stop Outlook trying to do a receive when I open Outlook. OE has the function, and I thought Outlook had it too. Maybe I'm mistaken?

Stuart

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If I right click on the 'Send imediately when connected' check box, the help text says (I have to translate back from Dutch to English, so you won't see exactly the same text):

"Check this box if you want to send/receive messages in Outlook as soon as you're connected"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Agreed - the English is similar wording, and includes the important word "receive" - but nevertheless the checkbox behaves as I stated in my earlier post, and is not the option I need.

Regards,

Stuart

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, I hope somebody else knows which setting you need. (See OL2002: How to Configure Outlook to Automatically Dial Your ISP for info about mail setup)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it's a send/receive setting. Disable check every xx minutes to prevent it from checking when you first start outlook. it will also prevent automatic checks all the time though.

tools, send/receive, define

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yuk. Don't want to do that - I want my mail coming in regularly.

Oh well, guess I'll have to live with it until Microsoft sees fit to give me the option that OE has! Sometimes it's nice to startup Outlook without it wanting to go away and download all my mail first!

Stuart

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is a workaround but it's a nuisance and you have to remember to do it each time. In your send/receive options, uncheck the automatic send/receive option under "When Outlook is offline." Then, if you remember to put Outlook in offline mode (using File/Work offline menu command) before you close the program, it should start up again in offline mode and not check for messages until you put it back into online mode.

Fafner

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nice idea, but unfortunately that's what I want it for!

I have one POP email account that I use, but I use it from home or work. Different ISPs and hence different SMTP settings. So I have two accounts set up in Outlook, and I use the home one when Outlook is Offline, and the work one when Outlook is Online. I tried using them together, but I got all my messages twice! Unfortunately, I keep forgetting where I'm next going to be working from (and it's not always what I expect, anyway, owing to the vagaries of home life) so I wanted it to not check for new mail until I'd confirmed whether I was Offline or Online.

If you can suggest a better way to organise my accounts so it doesn't matter, then please let me know!

Regards,

Stuart

New Lounger
    Thanks

Try this: In Outlook, go to Tools>Accounts. Go into Properties for each account and uncheck the box, "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing," click OK. I've done that on all my Outlook accounts and it won't check for mail until I go to Tools>Send and Receive and tell it which account to check.