Star Lounger
    Thanks

web folder 'logout'

When I create a web folder that points to a web site that requires a user ID/password, the logon is persistent, i.e., if I close the folder and reopen it, I can still access the remote folders.

Is it possible to do any of the following:
    1. <LI>Force the equivalent of a logoff when the folder is closed, i.e., force Windows to forget the logon info?
      <LI>Force the folder to close after a specified period of inactivity?
      <LI>Require a logon each time I open the folder, i.e., never retain the UID/PW info?
    The underlying issue is security on a multi-user workstation. If I create multiple Windows profiles and require each user to logoff from Windows, is the logon information retained across Windows logons, or, as I would hope, is it specific to each Win logon session?

To make matters slightly more complicated, I can't control the versions of Windows that users will employ so I need a pan-Windows solution.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: web folder 'logout'

Scott,
    Logon information should be per user. That should be relatively easy to test. Older versions of Windows (i.e ME/9x) may be a problem as they don't do multi-user in the same way NT (i.e. NT, Win2k, XP) based systems do.

Joe
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks

What Operating System are you using?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I will have little control over the versions of Windows on the client machines. I have to assume the worst -- that it could be any flavor of Windows.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are correct, Joe, that the logon is per user. I tested Win2K by logging Windows off and back on, and it does cause Windows to reset the stored user id/password. Now I just need a way to accomplish that without logging out of Windows...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Scott,
    I think you're out of luck. I'm pretty sure that Windows caches all sorts of stuff for the duration of the user session. I don't know if there is a programmatic way to flush the user information.

Joe
    Joe