Lounger
    Thanks

XP Home: programs starting and then stopping immed (Original XP Home)

Norton Anti-Virus, Norton Anti-Virus update, ZoneAlarm, and the running tasks pane (alt-ctrl-del) all start and then stop after a few seconds. Any ideas why this would be happening?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: XP Home: programs starting and then stopping immed (Original XP Home)

Read this, make sure you read all the post. <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.computing.net/windows2000/wwwboard/forum/49836.html">Task manager problems
    </A> I suspect you may have a Trojan.

Lounger
    Thanks

Was thinking about system restore last night. can you refresh my memory where to find it?

Yes, it is the task manager that does not run but for a few seconds. You mentioned I might have a trojan. The problem then is that I cannot get Norton to run. So, my guess is a system restore may be the only way out.

Thanks for the response.

Banned Member
    Thanks

1st go to this site and run the Trojan Scan On Line Trojan Scanner

You can also do an online Virus Scan here Trendmicro Housecall

To get to System Restore: Go to Start,Programs, Accessories,System Tools and click on System Restore,then select " Restoer My Computer To An Earlier Date" click "Next", then follow the directions.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Bruce--

Take a look at Posts and Post 389568 Task Manager for links to viral and other reasons to have your type problem. Reasons that cbd is trying to triage for a virus first besides that he knows a virus can cause this type problem is that you would need to isolate and get rid of the virus first before worrying about system restore, because you aren't going to system restore viruses, worms, blended threats away. As a matter of fact, if you start going through Trend's site or Symantec's for removal directions for hundreds of different viri, you'll see directions that say to turn off system restore while removing the virus. When you turn it off, though, you are going to lose restore points or corrupt them--they're going to be no good to you, but my first order of business would be to run a viral scan--there are viruses too small to be detected but fortunately few of them--or some that m ight not for other reasons--some MBR viri for example. Before running system restore which can be very valuable, determine whether you have a virus-type badboy.

129972: Computer Viruses: Description, Prevention, and Recovery

See links in this thread for help with System Restore:

Post 271909

302796: Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP and KB Links at the Bottom to Eight More on SR

Also at some point regularly run AdAware and Spybot and if you already do, great.

SMBP