4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VBS script on startup (Word 2000)

I have just persuaded a friend to buy a firewall after he got a dose of MSBlast.

As a result, he is now getting a VBS script problem reported each time he starts MS Word (2000). It reports that a script called word.nec is being called. After a bit of digging, I discovered that his machine is a PackardBell pre-installed with Windows XP & Word, and as a result, the "owner" is shown in all the splash screens as NEC Computers (I understand that NEC is the parent company for PackardBell).

I assume that this is some way of verifying the licence is still valid, or something similar.

I did a search on the web, and only found a couple of similar mentions, but no-one had solved the question.

Does anyone know if there any way to prevent the script being called? If so, do we invalidate the licence? I know I can simply tell McAfee to permit the script each time, but I am keen to see unnecessary programs stopped if it can be avoided.

Colin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VBS script on startup (Word 2000)

hi Colin,

this doesn't solve your problem, but if that really would be the policy of a computer vendor, i would tell them to go and .... it, and buy your computer elsewere.

now there is something you can try.
    is he launching word from a shortcut? it might be modified to point to a script that first of all shows those stupid #@$%! splash screens, and then launches word.
    so you can try and recreate a word shortcut directly from the executable itself.

or try to launck word from start->run. in the dialog that appears type in winword /a and press enter. if you do not see the pesky screens, they are launched form word itself using an addin. locate it in the startup folder of word, and delete or move it.

also it seems pb has associated scripts with a nec extsension in stead of the standard .vbs. you might want to restore that also.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Pieter

Yeah you're right, I hate vendors that take over your PC with their adverts, but as in this case, you don't see what's there till after you've found it. (and in any event, this PC is in a neighbour's house half a block away, so I'll have to go round and try your suggestions.

Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

A simple and reversible experiment would be to search for the script in Windows Explorer and rename it. See if Word fires up without protest. If there's a problem, you could create a VBS that does nothing at all and name it word.nec. If the method works, find all the .nec files and rename them, replacing with dummies.

Alan