Star Lounger
    Southern Highlands, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Image files/ Win98SE

I have a most frustrating problem when attempting to view jpg and bmp files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Image files/ Win98SE

I don't think if it were me that I would go to the trouble of un-installing PSP. Rather, in spite of your desire for something else, why don't you try going in to the PSP Preferences again for File Associations and let it "take" all the associations in its list. I would then try double-clicking a JPG file in Windows Explorer just to verify that PSP does, in fact, open the file. Now close PSP and go to Win Explorer's Folder Options and try editing the association to the program you prefer. I've never experienced a failure of the "Always Use....." box to work. Also, keep in mind that there could possibly be more than one entry in that file associations list. Most of the time you have to scan through the entire list. I also don't remember if a reboot might be required.

BTW, a small aside here. When you are in Explorer and you right-click a file to do something to it, are you holding down the SHIFT key and then right-clicking?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You need to check your Registry settings HCR.bmp value: (Default) data: Paint.Picture and value: Content Type data: image/bmp .(Corresponding values for .jpg respectively.)

However, if you are not familiar with Registry editing, I would recommend to download and install picture viewer, as IrfanView - it's free - and associate all pictures with this viewer (it has an option to choose file types to associate). In my opinion, this viewer is great and it is easy to handle file associations with it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Download this VBS file. Double-click it to run. Enter in the file extensions that you desire to query. Do a Print Screen of each and paste them into a Paint image, Save As .jpg. Post them here one at a time.

We should be able to figure out what is going on.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Big Al and a big thank you for your reply. I haven't done the uninstall/reinstall .... yet! Tried your suggestion. Went into PSP (Ver 8) and changed the preferences to all. The icons on the screen in Win Explorer for the associated files all changed to the PSP icon. (Yes!) When I double click - I'm not holding the shift key or doing anything other that just double clicking - low and behold the image opens in PSP. So far so good [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] In Win Exp I changed the file association for .bmp file to MSPAINT. The icons on the screen in Win Exp for bitmap files changed to the default icon. (Oh dear!) When I double click it asks me to specify the program I want to use. (Back to square one!) When I select MSPAINT as the program, it opens it. If I click in the "Always use ..." box, it "thinks" about it for a second and then comes back with the "Open with " prompt again. Maybe the problem lays in how I have specified the file association in Win Exp and I have attached an image of how the Folder Options and the File Type screens look for bitmap files. I'm am thinking that even a PSP reinstall won't solve the problem, it will have to be a Windows reinstall! Cheers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

SUCCESS! Did the registry edit for bitmaps as you said and when I double clicked on a bmp file it opened in Paint. I notice now that I have an entry in Folder OPtions/File Types for "Bitmap Image" wheras I only had an entry for "BMP File" before. Thanks ever so much.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello. I got a registry edit that seems to have solved the problem. I do appreciate your willingness to help. Thanks. John