Thanks

Unable to ATTACH a file (O.E.6)

I tried to attach a file to an e-mail and noticed that the attachment in the attach line was grayed out. I sent anyway and the recipient of the e-mail said he was unable to see the file. I then checked the "sent folder" and clicked on the attachment and it was ok. Why would it be grayed out? and what can I do to resolve this.
    thanks
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Re: Unable to ATTACH a file (O.E.6)

What kind of attachment is it? Outlook Express has an attachment security feature that blocks access to executable type attachments (e.g., .com, .exe, .pif, .scr, .vbs). Shortcuts such as file (LNK) or web (URL) shortcuts also are blocked. These might not be obvious because Windows tries very hard to disguise the file extension on these.

Thanks

What I sent was a Compressed folder, if that helps
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Maybe that's a ZIP file to me, I'm not sure. Try this: open the message, choose File>Properties>Details tab, and click Message Source. Maximize the window and scroll until you find the file name. What does Outlook Express think the name and file name are?

Thanks

yes it is a .zip (micro$ofts buit in compressed file) not WinZip Below is what it shows.
    But a funny thing happened on the way to the forum this morning. I sent an e-mail to my self attaching the same file thru our domain mail and although the attachment on the OE was grayed out, when I received it I was able to open it. I also sent it using Outlook XP and the attachement was not grayed out? this is totally absurd!!

Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
    boundary="----=_NextPart_000_005F_01C3722F.D19A3700"
    Thanks John

Thanks

Sorry Didnt scroll down far enough here is the rest of it
    Content-Type: application/x-zip-compressed;
    name="Northern Quest.zip"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    Content-Disposition: attachment;
    filename="Northern Quest.zip"
    Thanks John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

You might find Ken Slovak's Options Utility useful. I learned about this from Wood's Windows XP Newsletter.

It may be that OE is not configured properly as the email client on that computer. To be sure OE is the default mail client, close OE, click Start| Run and enter this command line, complete with quotes, spaces and the /reg switch:

"C:Program FilesOutlook Expressmsimn.exe" /reg Use another drive letter, of course, if OE is installed on another drive.

Also see Woody's newsletter:

Woody's Windows XP: 19 November 2002 - Vol 2 No. 45: Outlook Express 6 SP-1 and Blocked Email Attachments

Or if the file extension is a .zip, you [i[may[/i] need a 3rd party program like Winzip to open it. Windows' built in compression utility should be able to. If it were a .bin or .hqx you might need a 3rd party like "Stuff It" to open them.

312355: OLEXP: Unable to Open EML File Attachments in Outlook Express

Some viruses have been known to prevent attachments from being sent in prior versions of OE, so a viral scan won't hurt as a rule/out.

221486: OLEXP: Error Message: "Invalid Page Fault in Kernel32.dll" with Happy99.exe Virus

Worm.ExploreZip Symantec Security Response Discovered January 8, 2003

If you or the recipient is protected by a

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 04-Sep-03 13:13. Uh-oh)</P>ZIP files come in many flavors, so perhaps Outlook Express has been set to be paranoid about them. To see if ZIP is on the list of untrusted extensions, check out this article:

OLEXP: Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6 (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 291387)

Scroll down to the part near "To add additional file types to be blocked or remove file types that should not be blocked" and follow the directions there. Hope this helps.

Added: According to the Nov. 2002 issue of Woody's Windows Watch that SMBP references, the above doesn't actually work for ZIP files, specifically, in SP-1 of Outlook Express 6. It has been a long time since Nov. 2002, so hopefully MS fixed this along the way.[/url]