New Lounger
    Thanks

track changes XP-->97 (XP)

Anyone got an explanation for this? A document written on Word XP WITHOUT having Track Changes on, when viewed on another computer using Word 97 suddenly has all the revisions visible?

Thanks

Re: track changes XP-->97 (XP)

You can turn on tracked changes but work with the revision marks hidden. This is called setting yourself up to be very embarrassed and should never be done. It is the most likely explanation for what you describe.

Windows XP has changed the simple dialog used in earlier versions of Word so that it's a bit more confusing to understand. Working through the options in the drop-down on the Reviewing toolbar with the document open illustrates the different meanings better than I probably could explain them from memory.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Good thinking, but I don't think this is it. The document in question NEVER had 'Track Changes' turned on, with or without hiding the revision marks. Yet revisions are showing up in Word 97.

Thanks

Check the names and dates on the revisions. Could Word 97 have performed a Compare with a prior version? Outlook XP and Word XP have a secret handshake that will prompt the user to merge changes into the original document when a "revised" document is received back by mail. I'm fairly certain Office 97 didn't have this, but the user and date information should provide insight.