Star Lounger
    Thanks

MySQL or SQL 2000 (2002)

Hi,
    I use Access and am about to undertake building an asp website which gets its content from a .mdb file.
    Should i look for hosting with MySQL or SQL 2000?
    Or does it make any difference? Where would the difference be from my point of view? do they both use vbscript?
    Thanks
    Adrian

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MySQL or SQL 2000 (2002)

Sorry to be so late to the game here...

If you're using Access to store data on a website, you don't really need SQL Server or MySQL. Access serves the same purpose as these other database applications. If you are planning on having a lot of concurrent users reading and/or writing to your database, perhaps you should choose a bigger database application (like SQL 2000) rather than Access. However, if you're in a small to mid-sized situation you should be just fine with Access.

If you do decide to use Access, you will need a host that supports ASP or ASP.NET. Those are the only web-based environments that support Access (to my knowledge). Because of this you'll want to be sure your host is running a Windows flavor of OS - not Linux or Unix.

A word of warning - be careful because most hosts that support MySQL are Unix or Linux based (typically supporting CGI and/or PHP as programming languages rather than ASP). Also, Windows hosting is typically a bit more expensive due to the higher maintenance costs.

Bottom line: be aware of the options you're choosing, what features are supported, and how that fits in with your needs.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: MySQL or SQL 2000 (2002)

I'm far later than Mark, and certainly agree with his observations. It's fairly unusual to find a company running MySQL and running ASP, and I doubt any are running ASP.net. We currently use Access on two of the sites we support, and SQL Server on one we did work with.

We've worked with three different hosting companies, and it's equally as important to check out their service capabilities so you have some idea of how they respond when something breaks. It seems some of the companies want to get you signed up, but then you discover it's almost impossible to reach a person when something isn't configured correctly or something needs to be changed. Make a couple of calls to their tech support department and check out their response.
    Wendell