Thread: Word 2K

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2K

New documents, existing documents and/or forms stored on our network are altered when opened in Word 2000. Part of the document's text is changed to garbage or Webdings or other strange fonts and symbols. This does not happen on every computer. It does not effect the entire document, only a portion. Looking for ideas....We checked the language setting but that doesn't seem to help. Carol

Ribs

Re: Word 2K

Are you sure that the fonts that are used in the old documents exist on the machine that this happens?

Thanks

On these computers, start up Word and click on the File Open button. Take a look at "files of type" and make sure that it is set to Word files rather than "Recover text from files of any type" or something similar.

This setting is "sticky" in that if you change the setting to open one document, it remains that way for future documents until you change it back. The "Recover text" option gives results like those you have described.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2000. Should I not assume that the fonts didn't change that much. Doesn't word look for the closest match in fonts loaded on the computer. Why would that change a new document and have oddball fonts appear in a new document? Sooooo many questions. Carol

Ribs

So many questions, so few answers!?!
    I think you r right... I thought that you changed the OS to. By the way what OS are these machines? that might have something to do with it. Although I might just be grasping at straws.

Ribs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We switched from NT 4 to Windows 2K