New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot find data1.msi (Windows 2000/SR1-a)

I am trying to install Office 2000 SR1-a. I downloaded o2ksr1a.exe from the MS Web site, launched it on my machine (W2000 Professional). The install program asks me to insert the "Microsoft Word 2000" CD. I put my Office 2000 CD in the drive, and I get an error message: the install program cannot find the file "data1.msi". But that file is indeed on the CD-ROM.

I cannot go any further with the installation process.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

Thanks

Re: Cannot find data1.msi (Windows 2000/SR1-a)

Regarding why it asks for the wrong CD, did you by any chance have the Microsoft Works suite installed prior to Office? This could have confused up the Registry entries.

The regular workaround for not liking the CD is to copy the entire CD to a folder on the hard drive and point the installer there. If you have space to try it, let us know how it goes.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I did indeed have Microsoft Works installed before Office 2000 -- and never managed to completely uninstall it.

I copied the contents of the CD to my hard disk, but the installation program still does not recognize the data1.msi file. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Ben

Thanks

I fear that Word is somehow associated with the product key for Works rather than Office, and this is creating the problem. I really don't know if there is a quick solution (removing and reinstalling all Microsoft suites would be the slow solution). Perhaps you can find something in the MS Knowledge Base? The best way to search it these days seems to be to use Google and, after your search terms, add site:support.microsoft.com to limit it to the KB.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much. I'll try Google.
    Ben