Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Publishing (MS Office XP, version 2002)

I use Word to create newsletters. The layout of text and graphics look just fine on my computer, but when I e-mail the newsletter to another person to print the newsletter, the text shifts to a previous page, and graphics are on different pages or on top of other graphics. The last newsletter made me look like I did not care about appearance of my product. How do I get text and graphics to stay in place where *I* put them? Thank you!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Desktop Publishing (MS Office XP, version 2002)

I think the problem is receiver's normal.dot, page set up, default font and size and printer is different from yours. Suggest that you send out as "PDF" type file.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I suspected that was the case. How do I create a .pdf file from Word? I've never messed with that. Many, many thanks!

Thanks

You can spring for Acrobat for $200, or a print-only PDF type product such as pdfFactory ($50 - great product) or a low-end solutions (e.g., pdf995, free with nag messages, or $9.95 to get rid of the messages). Adobe also offers a small number of free conversions through its web site (use the drop down to choose "Create Adobe PDF Online").

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for your help. I also found "BatchtoPDF" at www.verypdf.com for $38 for the "pro" version. I am trying out the more basic version and have not yet found a price, if any, for this shareware. At first, I was opening the PDF conversion program and Word and freezing both programs. I finally figured out what to do with a printer driver. DUH! :-) Again, many thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

While PDF will certainly be more reliable, I'm curious as to why everything shifts on another computer. Unless you are using features that aren't available in another version of Word, the text & graphics shouldn't shift. I wonder if the other person is making some changes before printing. If you don't mind, why don't you zip a copy & post it to the Lounge so we can have a look at it.
    Cheers,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you! I feel Dave A came up with the logical explanation for the shifting of graphics and text. I would be delighted to submit a copy of the document to the forum, but I don't know how to "zip." :-) I doubt I have the proper software (don't even have a zip drive). Finally learned how to convert to pdf. And I had thought it was so difficult. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks! :-)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can submit a copy of the newsletter if it's under 100K in size just by scrolling in the box when you reply & see the attachment box. See the picture below. You don't need a zip drive to compress a file. There's a utility called winzip which will zip files so that they're smaller.

The reason I ask is that different default settings in normal.dot should not affect your document, unless you have certain options set, such as Tools/Templates & Add-ins/Automatically update document styles (which you should leave unchecked). I wanted to see if the newsletter came out different on my computer. If you're using TrueType fonts that can be & are embeded, there should be no font substitution (or if you're using standard fonts that are found on almost all computers). I was also going to see whether your graphics were inline or floating, as inline graphics are easier to keep in place.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Phil has a good point, I would also like to have a look on by different machines with different default printers and normal.dot's.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I fear the file is 5.7 MB--lots of graphics. And the graphics are are set within columns and are not in-line. I tried deleting the majority of the document, save the first and second page, but it still is more than 100 K. I do appreciate your help

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have one more question about pdf conversion and Word, please. Ever since saving that first file successfully in pdf format, subsequent files have been saved under the *same* file name/directory, even though the file names/directories vary. The first file was c:mydocumentsnewsletter.doc; It was converted to pdf as c:mydocumentsnewsletter.pdf. A later file, c:mydocumentsworkresume.doc, was converted to pdf as c:mydocumentsnewsletter.pdf. Same name, same directory as before! Is this normal? Even if I delete all Word files converted to pdf, files I subsequently convert are saved as that *same* file name/directory. Help!!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The program you are using has a "Sticky" file name feature. This means it remembers the last action settings.

You should be able to control the folder and file name, if you can not , then you need to find a different program.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. Guess I'll be going with the one you recommend even though it is more expensive. I don't need any bells and whistles, but this "sticky" file name feature is maddening.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Give us a screen shot of the print to PDF pane, where it shows the file name and location. We may be able to help you through to controlling this program.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've already deleted the program from my computer. After saving the first file, I never saw a pane indicating file name and location for future files saved. They all were saved to the initial directory under the same file name. Thank you again for all the help!