Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Old macros (2000)

I've been given a copy of a project I did for a company some time back. It was done in XL 97 or 2000. Obviously, they've tried to "fiddle" with it (the project was locked, anticipating just this happening) because the workbook Properties shows a heading saying "Excel 4.0 Macros" with two entries - Macro1 and Macro2, corresponding to two (apparently empty) sheets. This is a bit of a concern, since it was their fiddled version they ported for distribution, and I'm the person to whom it's attributed by all their clients!

I'm wondering generally, if it's possible for end users to fiddle with a 2000 project using Excel 4 code "injected" in this manner. Their attempts appear to have failed in this case, since both macro sheets appear to be empty. Also, how are such sheets identified as Excel 4.0 macros in the Properties dialog, given that they appear to be empty sheets. Just by their names? Will simply deleting them remove these entries from "Properties"?

thanks

Alan

Thanks

Re: Old macros (2000)

I would suspect that they are only there since someone right-clicked on a the sheet tabs twice and clicked on insert and selected the xl4 macro sheet by mistake.

XL4 macro sheets are a different type of worksheet [Note:There is also a chartsheet which are different objects (charts are NOT part of the worksheets collection).]macro sheet are distinguished by the TYPE property of the worksheet:
    The type can be:
    xlWorksheet (-4167)
    xlExcel4MacroSheet (3)
    or xlExcel4IntlMacroSheet (4)

Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm... I'm beginning to think that they may have been trying to use some odd attempt to get their own macro code added to the workbook, since the project is locked and they would be unable to use the recorder. I must confess that I didn't consider such a possibility as part of their possible requirements. I do see this as a feature that they probably should have available. I guess there no way to lock part of the project, but allow the user to play with their own macros, is there? Maybe I can add a function to produce a clone of the sheets in a new workbook, where they can do their own workings. The trouble with this client is that when asked about requirements, they will always respond with "we'll just leave it up to you", but then they will immediately find three or four instances of "... but it doesn't do XYZ".

Alan

Thanks

In those cases, you make your best guess of the features that are most useful and the easiest to program. Make sure your code and workbook is adaptable however, since YOU WILL be required to make the changes.

Give it your best shot, and then be prepared to do more coding/modifying later as they want more. I have been lucky with most of my programming (but then I have never claimed to be or have been hired as a programmer) has been primarily for my and coworkers benefit and the use by the others is secondary. I put the things I want in the program and most people are happy with them.

In those cases that I have been asked to make something for someone, they have usually been struggling with someone elses "hack job" and lack of user-friendliness that when I give them something more reasonable, they are pleased.

But, like I said, I was hired as a chemist and THAT is my job. The EXCELling I do on the side and they are usually happy for the "perk" that they have someone who can tinker with it.

Steve