rickwopr

Word 97 and labels

I would like to be able to create mailing labels, merging data from a spreadsheet. I can create plain labels but I need to have some special features. The first line should be a different size from the other lines on the label, and the colour of the type on the label (all lines on one label are the same colour) is determined by a field in the spreadsheet which contains the names and addresses I am merging. There are five colours which I will be using.

Any suggestions for a poor WordPerfect user forced to use Word to do this task?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Thanks

Re: Word 97 and labels

Advice: Lock yourself in your office for about two months and start learning VBA.

The tough problem is the color coding. That should be handled by a character style but I don't know of anyway to use merge fields and commands to change a character style.

Labels in Word are tables, as they are in WP, I believe. Each label is a separate cell. You should be able to handle your formatting by making a sheet of labels with your merge codes and <NEXT> codes at the end of each label. (Not sure if it is <NEXT> or <NEXTRECORD>.)

If you don't get a response here on how to do it (which you may) you may want to cross-post your question on the word.mailmerge.fields, word.tables and word.vbabeginners newsgroups on the Microsoft server. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#webnewsgroups>Microsoft Word Peer-to-Peer Support newsgroups</A>(www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm) for a listing and full addresses.
    To do an archives search <A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search>Google.com</A>
    To restrict your search to only the Word newsgroups put:
    "microsoft.public.word.*" in the box for "newsgroup."
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin