New Lounger
    Thanks

microsoftword 2002 text (MS Word)

I'm hoping someone can help with a text problem I'm having. I have just downloaded MS Office and when I opened a document in word the text is all messed up. The text of my letter came up as numbers, letters and different characters not the letter I had scanned and saved. It comes up fine in my word perfect program but not MS word. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Re: microsoftword 2002 text (MS Word)

If you are using File > Open from inside Word, check the File Type at the bottom of the dialog. If you choose "Recover Text from Any File (*.*)" you can get some very funky results. If you have it set to something like "All Word documents" then it's on to step 2.

Open Tools > Options > General and check the box Confirm Conversion at Open. If the document you are opening is not a native Word format, Word now will ask you which filter to use to open the file. This can be helpful in determining whether Word even has an appropriate filter.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I done everything and now the file opens it comes up with WP 6. Then when I hit ok it states file is corrupt and may not open correctly. I don't know if it is because the file was done the old way. I'm new to computers so I'm not sure what else to check. If you have ant other suggestions if you can put in simple terms I would apprieciate it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If the file had an icon that resembled a Word Perfect icon (I last remember them with a red border), it was a Word Perfect file. It's not a good idea to keep opening the file in Word & then Word Perfect. Each time you do that, it gets converted & can become corrupt.

Since WP won't open it, try this.
    1. Find it in Windows Explorer. If you don't know how to do that, then do this:
    A. Click an empty spot on the taskbar & press F3.
    B. Make sure that the look in box is your primary hard drive & that "include subfolders" is ticked.
    C. Type the name of the file in the "named" box & search. When you find it, select it (single click).
    2. Hold down the shift key.
    3. Right click the document & choose Open with... A dialog box will open.
    4. Scroll to Winword & click OK.
    5. If it doesn't open correctly (has gibberish), then close the document, but leave Word open.
    6. Press Ctrl+O. The file open dialog box opens.
    7. Near the bottom, you'll see a box that says: "Files of type" & then a drop down box. Make sure that it doesn't say "Recover text from any file". Change it to "All files".
    8. Navigate in the ":Look in" box at the top until you find the file. You do this by searching for the folder that contains the file.
    9. Now select it & choose Open.

If that doesn't work, perhaps you can post the file here, if it's under 100K or if you have WinZip & can zip it to under 100K.

Hope this helps,

Thanks

There are just too many possibilities to really say for sure, but as you can see, Word is WAY behind on its WordPerfect converters. It really cannot handle WordPerfect 7, 8, 2000, 2002 or 11 files correctly. Your file also might have a graphic in it or something else that is complicating the conversion. What can you find out about the source document?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

My wife has been and still is using both WP and Word for many years, and has NOT had any problems as long as she has installed the converters, which are NOT installed by default. She has had more problems going from Word to WP. She started using WP in the DOS days and Word when Office 98 came out.

Also where did you down load Office from?

What SW did you use to do the scanning?

Can you attach a sample file for us to take a look?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.