Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupted user profile?

Running Win2kPro and IE6, I have trouble accessing some (but not all) Web sites, getting "403 You are not authorized to view this page" errors. This started with a few group sharing sites such as WebEx and Genesys (I'm a self-employed consultant and often review vendors' software remotely using one of these services), but not with WebDemo. I could get to the WebEx home page (for example), but when I tried to join a meeting I'd get the 403 message. WebDemo works just fine. This problem has now spread to Expedia; I check flight times, pick the route I wanted, but going on to book it gives me the 403 error. Based on a hint from the MS Knowledge Base about a possible corrupted user profile I set up a new one, and this lets me into all these sites without a problem.
    Two questions:
    (a) does anyone know how to fix the original user profile? The MS KB gives a hint about this problem when using MSExchangeWEB, but the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key they refer to isn't on my PC since I'm not using that product.
    ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] Is there a way to give my new user profile access to all the applications used by my old one, or am I doomed to re-install everything I use?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Corrupted user profile?

First, in your original profile have you tried emtpying your TIF, deleteing cookies, and deleting internet history?
    a.) You can try to copying your old progfile to a new one. Right click MY Computer. Select Properties. Then Advanced | User Profiles. There should be the option to copy a profile. NOTE: This may not be exact as I'm doing it from memory not in front of a Win2k system. Make sure that the new profile has the same security permissions as the old.
    b.) Should be taken care of by a.)

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe, thanks for the prompt response. Yes, I have emptied the TIF and deleted cookies and Internet history; no difference. I'm not having any luck copying profiles, either. All the profiles I'm using have Administrator status, but I signed in as Administrator anyway just to make sure I had permission to do all of this. I copied my original (corrupted) profile ("Jon") to a new one ("Jon3", to avoid changing the new one ("Jon2") I created from scratch and that appears to work on the affected sites, although it doesn't have access to all of Jon's applications). I received a message that it couldn't copy a Groove setting since that application was still in use, so I clicked OK and it appeared to complete. I then shut down the Groove icon (the application proper wasn't running, just the quick-start icon in the ToolBar) and copied Jon again in case it had aborted at that point - I wasn't sure since there was no "Done" message, and Jon3 did NOT show up in the user profile list. I got the message that Jon3 already existed, did I want to overwrite? I said yes, and it ran through much more quickly this time, but still didn't show up in the User Profile list. So, in case it needed to have a recognised profile "space" to copy into, I created a new Jon3 profile from the Control Panel Users & Passwords dialog box, then went back into My Computer and copied Jon over to Jon3 again. Once again I received the "Jon3 exists, overwrite?" message, and again said yes. But when I sign on as Jon3, the screen and mouse settings are the Windows standards, not those of Jon. Am I doing something wrong?

Jon

Administrator
    Thanks

Jon,
    I'd delete Jon3. Create a new profile. Shut down everything possible. Then copy and see what happens.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe:
    Maybe I'm not doing the Copy properly.
    I deleted Jon3 (in My Computer), shut down everything possible (network card, ZoneAlarm, Norton Anti-Virus, etc.)., then created a new profile - Jon4 - with Admin privileges using the Control Panel | Users & Passwords. Jon4 showed up there, but not in My Computer. I rebooted; Jon4 still didn't show. I logged off, logged back on as Jon4, no problem; it showed the standard Windows desktop with some of my apps - Quicken, pcAnywhere, IomegaWare, Ad-Aware, etc., but not MS Office.
    I logged off, logged back on as Administrator, and now Jon4 shows in My Computer. So I shut down everything possible again, then Copy profile Jon to Jon4. The PC runs for about 5 minutes, completes - and Jon4 hasn't changed. It's still the same size (317kB vs. 6.18MB for Jon) and looks and behaves the same as it did before the Copy.
    When the dialog box asks where to Copy the profile to, it shows a blank data field with a Browse button. Clicking that brings up the sub-directory tree for the PC, but I have no clue which directory to pick, so I've been typing in SILVERJon4 (SILVER is the name of my computer), since that's the format it uses to display the list of existing profiles in both My Computer and the Control Panel. Should I be specifying something else? The PC's definitely doing something during the Copy process; perhaps it's going to some directory I don't know about?

Joe, I truly appreciate your help and advice. Any ideas?

Jon

Administrator
    Thanks

Jon,
    Office is a strange beast when is comes to multiple users. You might be better off posting a question in the office section of the board about installing for multiple users. I think when you copy the profile you should browse to Documents and settings | New user name. That is most likely where Windows is expecting it to be. You may have been copying to a folder in the root of C:.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe:
    You're right on both counts! Office IS a strange beast, and I WAS copying the profile to C:SILVER. So I copied the Jon profile again, this time into the Documents & Settings|Jon4 directory, and the good news is it worked, copying the Jon profile over to the Jon4 user. The bad news is that it also copied over whatever's corrupting my Web access for some sites; now Jon4 has the same symptoms as Jon, getting a "403 you are not authorized to access" message for WebEx sites (I haven't checked the others) whereas pristine new user Jon2 can still get into them just fine. Oh bother.

Now what?

Jon

Administrator
    Thanks

Jon,
    Have you tried a repair installation? BTW, what service pack are you running?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe:

I'm running Windows 2000, 5.00.2195, SP3. No, I haven't tried running a repair installation, and the brief summary in Windows Help is discouragingly short on details on how to do one. It also implies that I need the original Windows 2000 CDs, which I don't have. (I bought the machine (a Toshiba Portege 3490CT) 3 months old from a local laptop repair company after my previous laptop succumbed to a can of ginger ale at 30,000 ft.) Can I generate a useful ERD from the installed OS, would it help, and if so how big are its files? I don't have a CD-ROM burner, though this might be the excuse I need to get one.

Jon

Administrator
    Thanks

Jon, I doubt if an ERD set will help in this case. Should be 3 diskettes if I remember correctly. Didn't the vendor give you a recovery CD? They should be able to tell you how to do a recovery install.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe:

The CDs that came with the laptop are a 2-CD set labeled Toshiba Recovery and Configuration Builder CD, disks 1 & 2, which sounded promising but only until I read the Warning notice on the back that says "Selecting the recovery option will reformat your hard disk and all information on it will be removed. You will then need to re-install any software applications that were not pre-installed at the factory." I'll fire them up and see what other options are available, but that will have to wait a bit as I have a couple of deadlines to meet today. Thanks for your help so far; I'll re-post when I've taken a look.

Jon

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe:

OK, deadlines met! The Toshiba recovery CDs don't seem to be useful; none of the Rebuild options seem to address user profiles, I don't want to do a full recovery since that would wipe out the drive, and I have no clue as to how to do a custom install. Given that my Test profile (Jon2) does allow me into WebEx and the main one (Jon) doesn't, I'm not sure whether a rebuild of the OS would help.

I tried taking a different tack by searching the Registry for references to Expedia or WebEx, the two main sites I'm "not authorized to view", to see if there was a key that I could copy from the working profile to the other. But I don't know how to search for individual profiles within the registry, and really don't know what sort of entity (keys, values, data) I'd be looking for anyway nor what to do with it.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Jon

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After reading this thread it looks like you are chasing your tail. Some software needs to be given permissions to run on any profile other than it was installed on. Have you tried regedt32? If not, then Start->Run->regedt32->enter-> then bring the Local_Machine page to the front and open up Software and highlight the name of the software then go up to the top and click on security then permissions and give yourself what you need. Good Luck.

Lounger
    Thanks

Sinjin/Joe:

Thanks for the regedt32 tip; giving my Jon2 profile full permission to everything in Software seems to work, though it does still require re-configuring the profile to get the same preferences as "Jon", of course. No prob, tedious but easy.

But now I have another problem. I don't think they're related, but I can't escape the feeling that a slow death is creeping through my laptop. I just returned from a trip yesterday and now it won't connect to my home network, either wirelessly or via a network cable. Both worked fine when I left, and the only change I made during the trip was to switch Outlook from LAN to dial-up and back again, since my hotel didn't have high-speed access. I might believe the wireless connection has been corrupted somehow, and if I could get into the firewall/network hub (Netgear) I could probably re-configure that to make sure the WEP settings haven't changed, but I can only configure the hub from this PC, which is set up as its controller. The network cable and hub seem to be working fine themselves; they're perfectly OK for my wife's Thinkpad, but when I unhook the cable from her machine and plug it into mine (it goes into a port replicator,since the laptop's a Toshiba Portege with no network port in its slim chassis), leaving it still connected to the same wall jack and therefore the same hub port, my Toshiba just doesn't see it. If it was just the cable connection I'd suspect the Toshiba's connection; if it was just the wireless card I'd suspect the card or the firewall/hub. But for both to stop working at once makes me much more concerned, and I haven't a clue where to start looking. For now I'm on dial-up.

Oh, one more thing; I don't know if this indicates anything, but I got a script error when trying to use the built in MS troubleshooter. From My Network Places | Properties | LAN Connection | Properties | Configure | Troubleshooter | select "my network adapter doesn't work", click Next and an IE Script Error pops up (Line 3, Char 2, Error: Object doesn't support this property or method, Code 0, URL mk:@MSITStore:C:WINNTHelptshoot.chm:/T shardw_result.htm, Do you want to continue to run scripts on this page? I click "Yes" and get "This Page Cannot Be Displayed."

Any ideas?

Jon

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that was weird - it's fixed itself, sort of. Despite the lack of two green lights on the network cable, the connection finally held long enough for me to get into the wireless hub configuration. Once I'd worked out that my custom password had reverted to the initial set-up default, it turned out that the hub had been reset to ALL its defaults - password, no encryption, etc. So now the WEP's back on, the password's been changed again, and the wireless connection is working just fine. Wonder what happened?

Maybe I should switch to Linux... :-)

Thanks for reading this and being prepared to offer advice, anyway!

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast