Thanks

Indescribable (A2K SR1)

I
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Indescribable (A2K SR1)

The name of the table suggests you have compact on close turned on. Do you see the same results with it turned off? If you are running a peer-to-peer network, you may be running into mapping problems, since your own machine maps the drives differently from other machines, but you didn't give any details about the networking. Has the application always been in 2000 or was it converted from 97? Does your machine have any Office XP components installed on it, or any other 2002 Microsoft apps? Do all the machines run the same service pack of Office and the same versions and service packs on Windows?
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte, thanks for your response. I
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have the latest service packs applied to all versions of Office? There are compatibility issues between the vbe6.dll library installed with Office XP and the version the Office 2000 uses. The SR-3 of Office 2000 contained a patch for that. It's one of those frustrating problems that may not pop up for a long time and then it hits you between the eyes. And it can cause a whole range of bizaare behaviors.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte, me back again. OK, here
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I keep mine updated, so I am a little vague on the specifics. You definitely need SR-3 of Office 2000, and I believe you have to install SR-2 first. You can get information on that from Microsoft's site at Step-by-Step Instructions Update Office 2000 first, then Office XP..
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte, thanks again for responding. Like, why are you working on a gorgeous ( here anyway ) day like today? I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is I've got updates downloaded and installed up to my wazoo ( SP3-Wazoo ). The bad news is, it has made no difference whatsoever, so I'm not quite sure what to do now. I also tried opening up an empty database and copying everything in and that didn't work either. Thanks anyways for all of your help.

Andy
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try posting in the General Office Solutions board and see if anyone there can suggest anything. Make sure to point out the updates so you don't have to go through all those questions again. Since this is only happening on your machine, it has to be something in the way that machine is set up.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will do that. Thanks again, Charlotte.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andy,

You sound desperate so I will make a dumb suggestion . . . . have you tried Compact and Repair on the database? Second suggestion (Iand I have no idea if it can help), I once had a major problem in Access (the wizards went crazy) - at the same time I could not use wizards in excel or word. Turned out (after months and $150 spent uselessly on Microsoft support) that in Windows Regional Settings I had a space set as my list delimiter - totally stuffed any wizard list with more than 1 word in an option).

Sure hope you find it. I know how you feel.

Graeme.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Graeme,

Thanks for the kind words of support. No suggestion is ever dumb, because you never know what might work. Desperate does kind of sum it up. It is, as I keep referring to it, a really bizarre circumstance. Calling Microsoft wouldn't even enter my mind as I did try them many moons ago. I find that our fellow Accessphobes in this Forum are heads and shoulders above anything you might extract from Microsoft. I compact and repair on an ongoing basis. I also do at least 10 to 15 backups a day. Another good thing to do is to go into debug as often as possible and do a compile, because one of the really great 'features' of Access, is its' ability to all of sudden decide that you have a 'network access error'. This one I know my around if you ever need help with it. In the meantime, I may try uninstalling Office 2002 and see if this might make it happy.

Anyway, Graeme, thanks again for the moral support.

Andy
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you are getting the error you described, then it is extremely likely that what you're seeing is caused by the existence of Office 2002 and Office 2000 on your machine. This MSKB article describes the problem in Access 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q304548. I understood you to say that the other machines were using the database on your machine and not having the same problem with it. Were you talking about linking to a shared back end rather than using the same front end (that is, a front end on your machine)?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Andy. I am a real 'seat-of-the-pants' accesser. But your problem has me utterly stumped. I look forward to reading the solution when you find it (smiles optimistically!!!).

Graeme.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good Morning Charlotte!
    Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. It had to do with having a life outside of Access. Anyway, here's what I did:

1. Completely uninstalled Office XP Professional
    2. Completely uninstalled Office 2000 Premium
    3. Ran all kinds of registry cleaners and virus scanners and cleaneruppers of all descriptions
    4. Reinstalled Office 2000 Premium
    5. Copied my clean database programs from notebook
    6. Ran the newly installed Access program to open up my clean database programs
    7. Bbraaaccckkkkkk! Even a simple task like trying to delete a table linkage still gives me the old 'Unknown' warning.
    8. Same garbage as before.
    9. And yet, from my Notebook, I can open the newly installed Access which is residing on my 'corrupted' system and open up the database which is resident on my 'corrupted' system and everything is perfect. I can even delete the table linkages. Mindboggling!!

I am totally befuddled and I realize that it is nothing that you can possibly advise me on, because there has to be something weird somewhere in this system. I can only say that until just a few days ago, all of these systems lived happily together and have done so for many, many, many months.
    Thanks again for your attempts to help me. If and when I ever get this cleared up I will definetly post this on the board in case some other poor soul has the same problem.
    Cheers,
    Andy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hmmm Charlotte - looks like the error message I am getting with my security woes. I note that the computer I'm working on does not have sp 3 on it. I'll give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast