Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hanging Programs (Windows XP SR1)

Major confusion! Just loaded Office XP Professional onto our new system last week; working today to check and transfer data saved from old Windows 95 system to new one (on floppy disks). While trying to check contents of floppy disk Word-created program, Word hung. Completely. Task Manager had no effect - it hung, too.

Error reports sent to MS resulted in thank you message with link to Office site where a download would, apparently, correct my problems. Connected to site, found download link and tried to download. At 10% complete (we still have modem connection), it seemed to hang, too! At least, it never got past 10% and the hourglass rotated eternally. And suddenly a green icon appeared on my taskbar, saying that my CPU was at 100%.

Turning to Woody's recent book on Timesaving Techniques for WinXP for help, I discovered this was a very bad thing. the page usage was low, however. Woody suggested turning here for help so here I am.

This has happened twice today (first time, I bit the bullet and turned off the machine. Had to do so finally at the power bar as the computer on/off switch couldn't get past "Windows is shutting down" for over 30 minutes!

None of this happened until I installed Office XP. Of course, our Office 97, on the old Windows 95 system, was a big problem, too, but al least we could usually restart the thing with 2 rounds of Ctrl-Alt-Del. Nothing worked on this machine.

Hope someone can advise me. I am a non-techie - and very frustrated that the new system we bought to correct things is full of its own problems.

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hanging Programs (Windows XP SR1)

Linda--

Some of us can go a lot further in helping you if you will do something you forgot to do. Because if you mean you sent them on that dialogue box--Do you want to send--it's rarely going to link you to the OCA crash analysis site--and no help will come from it m ost of the time, but they are gathering data for the next SP or to see if they need to generate a KB article.

1) Do you have the error messages written down anywhere that you sent to Microsoft?

2) Can you please hit the Windows key+"R" and in the run box type this: "eventvwr.msc" and in the event viewer where most of those errors are also recorded under both Application and System look at the approximate time, scrolling down that the error occured.

If you can post that error information, we might be able to do a better job of being specific to help you. That info always helps.

3) "this was a very bad thing"--the error messages will help it may not be near as bad as a bad thing. "Error reports sent to MS resulted in thank you message with link to Office site where a download would, apparently, correct my problems." Can you post what the link to the Office Site was and what the download is? You can easily find the site by hitting History on your IE toolbar.

I'll do anything to try to help, but getting this information will help many people do a better job in getting you back to normal.

Thanks,

SMBP

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

I'm afraid I did send the error messages on via that dialogue box. Here is my best attempt at answering your questions:

1. Sorry, didn't write down error messages - just kept clicking on "Okay" whenever the dialogue box came up asking me to send the error report to MS.

2. Event viewer was an eye opener! It was stuffed full of events! Under Application, there were 278, of which 65 concerned today's issue.. They started at 11:37:28 and finished at 4:15:23. 61 were called "Error", Application Hang; 4 were called "Information", 2 of these were "ccEvtMgr" and 2 were "ccPwdSvc". Under Security, there were 1826 events, mostly "Success Audits" with a few "Failure Audits" during today's time period. Actual times were from 11:37:02 to 4:32.55. Under the System tab, 2751 events, all were "Information" except for 2 which were "error". Again, times for today's issue were from 11:37:02 to 4:32:08.

3. MS sites I was sent to when clicking on their link:
    - http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx
    - http://oca.microsoft.com/en/Response.asp?SID=604

Is this what you need? Hope it is enough!

Thank you very much for helping. Please let me know what else you need to work me through this. Will likely end Internet connection for today, but am afraid to turn computer off again as Word still is hanging and won't close. Will check back in tomorrow morning to see if this has given you and the other loungers what you need.

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Linda--

1) What was this mysterious download at the Office site that you downloaded--Can you go to the site or use history to go to the part of the site and tell me?

2) You're doing fine--you're new to XP and some people never take advantage of Event Viewer as a source of error information to fix a problem. But what will help, and I know they are long and look like jibberish--they do to most of us--and there are many, but try to get a couple of the main errors that seem to apply like a procedure call and paste them into a lounge post. Make sure to look in Both Application and System divisions around the time your event happened.

3) If you don't get your download folder set up in a way you want, let us know because that's important for you to be able to find and direct your downloads. Remember most downloads whether they are programs on the web (and some vary with installation type) are going to download an executable with an installer and you go to your download folder and click on that. Then the install begins, and you'll always get a chance to install on the drive you want if you have more than one. Some parts of programs are going to "C" no m atter where you tell them to go by design. But these are the minority. Some will ocasssionally go to your temporary folder. The zip downloads will default to a zip folder, but you have the option to send them wherever you want.

SMBP

Thanks

> While trying to check contents of floppy disk Word-created program, Word hung.

Does this mean you are accessing the A drive from inside of Word? Word needs a lot of empty space on the media it accesses, and I assume these disks were as full as you could make them. Try copying everything onto the hard drive using Windows Explorer before trying to access the data (from the hard drive) with Word.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Oh. I was trying to do that. I will try your way for the rest of our data. Thanks.

By the way, while I'm working on giving SMBP the info he's asked for, can you tell me how to close my hung Word program? I "hibernated" the machine last night so as not to mess up anything further and so, of course, today, Word is back - hung! Or should I just leave it until I've gathered and posted all the required info. The computer seems to be running very slowly this morning. I'm just grateful this Lounge lifeline is still working!

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

First, my Inbox has a message saying that there is a private message from you at a certain link. When I click the link, it takes me to my personal page, but I couldn't see anywhere to access a private message. I did, however, locate several of your answers on this page. Is there another place to look?

Next, to your questions. Thank you for your patience and for making me feel less stupid! Most appreciated.

1. I edited my last post to include the paths to that download site that never finished downloading. Are they correct?

2. I'm trying to attach a screen shot of one event in Application to see if this is the information you need. Not sure what I'm doing, but hope it works. I sure couldn't get it pasted into the body of this message. It was saved in Paint as Word is still hung! If this is what you need, I can do the same thing for other Event Viewer information. If not. let me know what exactly you need and I'll find it.

Oops! That didn't work - it was way too big (720 bytes). Can you tell me what I should copy out to pass on to you and from what part of the Event Viewer to get it? The events listed couldn't be copied from the list - there was no option anywhere to allow a copy and paste. Perhaps there is and I just couldn't figure it out.

3. Thanks for the advice on downloading on the other board and for the reassurance here. Once this hanging thing is corrected, I'll work on the download set up and let you know how it goes. It will be good to know where the downloads - which used to disappear! - actually go!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Oh no! Now Outlook Express won't respond and won't receive any messages! After clicking "send/ receive", the "sending/ receiving" dialogue box comes up but the in arrow doesn't move: nothing moves except for the endlessly rotating hourglass! This dialogue box and Outlook Express itself are very resistant to closing, giving me the "not responding" message, followed by MS error report request.

I'm hoping I can access any replies to this message via the Lounge itself, by "refreshing" the page. Otherwise, I'm really in a pickle!

Should I keep trying to get the current session corrected or just be brave and turn this whole machine off at the power bar, ending the hung Word session of yesterday? Sure hope your help can arrive withough email notification!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

Here is some more info on that MS site because I tried it again.

The first link (in the thank you message) took me to the Online Crash Analysis site, as indicated in my earlier message. The link there said "an update is available" and clicking on that link send me to "http://office.microsoft.com/ProdutUpdates/default.aspx", where I was supposed to click "Check for Updates". That link took me to a page which said "Office Update Installation Engine is loading..." with a progress bar, stopped at 10% loaded.

It never got beyond 10%. The download was to take 45 seconds on our 56K modem; after 10 minutes of nothing, not even the rotating hourglass, I used Ctrl-Alt-Del to End Task (the message window said the program was "running") - and even that took a lot of minutes to work! It also included another error report request from MS because Internet Explorer was not responding to my attempts to End Task!

Hope this helps!

Desperately,

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP - an addendum to my frantic messages on this thread from earlier today. I read about doing a Sytem Restore and so did one, back to the day before all this started. Everything seems to be back to normal - at least, I can access Outlook Express, Word and this Lounge and my system is back to its normal speed.

The only thing I can identify that we did differently prior to the problems starting was to register for an online travel site (Sidestep.com) which put an icon on our desktop (which disappeared in the system restore procedure). Could this be the cause of all the mess? Right now, I'm just glad things seem to be working.

Let me know if we should be proceeding with our analysis through the Event Viewer. I'm game.

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Linda, Several questions. 1.) Is XP up-to-date with patches? 2.) What service pack level is installed for Office XP? 3.) Is Office XP up-to-date with patches? 4.) Were the docs virus scanned before copying/saving to diskette? Comments. Following on jefferson's comment, use Windows Explorer to copy the Word doc(s) to some folder other than c: on your PC before attempting to open with Word.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Good questions. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Re. Windows XP and patches, I'm not sure. I do get automatic downloads, which gave me the Sobig patch (thank goodness!!), but I myself haven't physically done anything about patching beyond that.

Re. Office XP patches, I've just been reading Woody's WOW newsletter from Sept. 4 re. all the various Office patches. I've not done any so far (didn't realize it would be necessary so soon after buying new Office XP program!!), but it sounds as if I should, re. you and Woody. Yes?

Can you tell me how to determine what Service Pack is installed with my Office version?

Thanks for advice re. transferring data from floppies to new computer. I hadn't followed jefferson's advice yet, due to all the other challenges with this machine! It sounds as if I should create a new folder (in My Documents?) for the files on the floppy (maybe call it "Floppy Files"); then, using Windows Explorer, move the files from each floppy disk to this folder. Before doing the move, however, the files should be checked for viruses (I did NOT do this before copying them onto the floppies! A mistake, right?)

I'll wait until you have time to get back to me on this before I copy the floppies. Thanks for writing - I was just about to start that task!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks

Hi Linda, You're welcome. Hope all this is some help.
    1.) Windows XP updates - although some people don't trust Windows update (you may get a large missive from SMBP about this) I'd run it to see if there are updates other than critical ones that may be needed. I'd skip any driver updates if any are recommended as WU often mis-recommeds driver updates or is far behind.
    2.) Office patches - to determine the SP level for Office open any Office app like Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. Then selcect Help | About. Note the version displayed to the right of the application name. The current service pack level for Office XP is 2. I'm pretty sure that to install sp2 you must first install sp1. After SP2 is installed go to Office update and click on 'check for updates'.
    3.) I agree with your thoughts about the floppies. Check them for viruses then copy to a new folder.

Lots of work I know. Good Luck

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again, Joe. Good, easy to follow advice!

I did check for version. Beside Word it said 2002 (10.2627.2625). Does this mean I need to install both SP1 and SP2?

Once I know that, I'll work through all the downloading of patches as per your directions - you're right, a lot of work, but with positive results, it seems!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks

Linda, Yes, SP2 requires SP1 first.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast