Hello,

I've had chronic installation problems on my desktop for many months, and have not had any satisfactory solutions.

I get it whenever I install certain programs that use the InstallShield 16-bit launcher. Whenever the install program is in a folder that has a space in its name, on my D: drive (NTFS), it doesn't open properly--I get a "Can't run 16-bit Windows program" error, with the message "Cannot find file d:...setup.exe (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

These programs usually, but not always, work when I move them to the root level of the C: drive (FAT32).

Now, I'm trying to update Adobe Photoshop to version 6.0.1, and it can't seem to patch the executables on the D: drive.

Anybody run across this? I've searched extensively for the problem on the Microsoft site, on Adobe, on InstallShield, and everywhere else I can think of. I've exhausted my free support at Microsoft on a couple of other issues. Adobe can't help, either... everybody's pointing their fingers at everyone else, saying it's not their problem!

Anyways, I have another Win2K machine that does not have this problem. This one is a clean install, with Win2K Gold installed on a wiped hard drive last spring, with the Service Pack installed, and a couple of OS reinstalls. I'm thinking it's a registry setting having to do with long filenames, but HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlFileSystem has the same values on both machines (specifically NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation = 0), and I can't find anything else.

Anybody have any bright ideas?

Thanks,
John