New Lounger
    Thanks

Offline Files combines folders (XP SP1)

I am trying to use the Offline Files feature to synchronize files between my desktop and laptop. I synchronize the My Documents folder. When I open the Offline Files Folder on the laptop, all of the files in the many subfolders have been combined into one huge jumble of files. The folder structure seems to have been lost. And of course, makes the whole idea pretty useless.

All drives are NTFS, and I am not using Simple File Sharing. The user names and passwords are identical on both machines, and it is an administrator account.

Any idea what might be the cause? I've read and re-read my several XP books and searched Google, but couldn't find anything useful.

Thank you!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Offline Files combines folders (XP SP1)

To see the folder structure, you must navigate to its ORIGINAL location even if computers are not connected, i.e. to see offline "My Documents" on the laptop, you must navigate to My Network PlacesEntire NetworkMicrosoft Windows NetworkWorkgroup<your desktop>Cocuments and Settings<your username>My Documents.

New Lounger
    Thanks

So, to actually use the files, it sounds like you're saying that I would need to navigate through My Network Places. Is that right?

I'm so frustrated with this seemingly simple thing (and I've been using and troubleshooting computers for twenty years), that I'm just about ready to ditch Offline Files and pull out my copy of pcAnywhere!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I usually create a shortcut to the network location of the offline files within My Documents, then I just double click on that shortcut whilst offline (or online)

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Everyone's suggestions worked--until I disconnected the laptop from the network. None of the files that had been marked for offline use were accessible, despite the fact that I had performed a synchronization prior to disconnecting. And I also found that the laptop wouldn't stay "online" and kept wanting to work offline. It never did that until I tried working with offline files. The laptop's network connection is rock solid.

I'm at my wit's end. There's something I must be missing here about how offline files work. I've read every XP book I have (including you know whose), and I'm doing everything they say. I even went out to buy the latest pcAnywhere release in desperation, but was shocked to find that it no longer can exclude subfolders from synchronization! Back to using Briefcase, heaven forbid?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't imagine whey you would not be able to access the offline files when you disconnect from the network. How are you trying to do this access? You won't be able to browse for the server but have you tried creating a shortcut to the required files when you are online and double clicking it when offline.

I have seen a problem where Offline folders keep reporting that you have lost the connection, when the share was on a system running Windows 2000. I have never had problems when all the computers were running Windows XP (my symptoms were very similar to those described at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_...Q_20396540.html but I never did find a satisfactory workaround.

StuartR