New Lounger
    Thanks

Breaking footnotes (97, 2000)

I see this was the subject of a thread starting with Post 275988 from randywebb, 20-Jul-03 00:14, "Footnote extends across 3 pages" (2000). A long-time Word abuser and Woody devotee, I've yet to find anything but kludgy workarounds for Word breaking footnotes across pages, even when there's plenty of room for the note: Often the *addition* of another line will bring it back to the page of the original footnote; i.e., it seems to have nothing to do with how much room there is at the bottom of the page. I usually guestimate (by trial and error) where the text needs to break in order to keep the note on one page, and then add a hard page break (if playing with font spacing doesn't cure it)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Breaking footnotes (97, 2000)

I don't know of a foolproof method. I take it you've tried all the things mentioned in KB196720

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Breaking footnotes (97, 2000)

Thanks, Phil: I hadn't checked that KB article since its previous incarnation; been using 2000 only since 1/03. So far, the recommendation to uncheck the "Lay out footnotes like Word 6.x/95/97" check box seems to work, just as promised. I guess the point is that version 2.0 had it best. Progress!