Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Tab key behaviour in protected forms

Hi,

I have a protected form with form fields and some unprotected sections.

What I would like to achieve is for the tab key to behave in the same way in the unprotected sections as is does in form fields- ie, go to the next field/section; and for shift + Tab to go backwards.

I had always assumed I couldn't do it.

I was doing some fiddling around- and I don't know what I did- but it all behaved correctly, as I wanted.

I closed the form, and opened it again- but it was back to the "normal" behaviour of inserting a tab in the text.

Any ideas as to what I did right?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

Re: Tab key behaviour in protected forms

No idea. However, you can simulate this behavior using tables to hold your form. I use the F11 key a lot because I tend to use macrobutton fields (with no macro) for prompts and/or default text in non-protected forms. I usually put a hidden text reminder (in a bright color in a textbox) to use the F11 key to move from field to field.

Hope this is of some help,
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Charles,

That looked quite promising, but it didn't work as I expected.

I had a table which had some fixed text and some data entry rows. I inserted section breaks before and after the row where I wanted data entered, then unprotected section 2 when I protected for forms. (I had form fields in subsequent rows).

When I pressed the tab key, instead of inserting a tab character or moving to the next row, it inserted a new row in the table- the same as would have happened in the last row of an unprotected table. This also why I put in unprotected rows later in the table.

I don't want to use Macrobutton fields, as I want to make sure that protected text cannot be overtyped at all; it also looks as if overtyping gets rid of the macrobutton field, which makes backward navigation difficult.

I was looking at unprotected sections because they give the flexibility of enabling formatting (which form fields do not). A form field (or ActiveX control/any other mechanism) giving complete control over formatting, whilst stopping any modification to the rest of the document, would give me what I'm after (are you listening Microsoft?).

I may take up your idea of putting hidden text as a reminder- then assigning a function key to a "next section" macro- even perhaps to the tab key?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've got a partial VBA solution here. It assigns "GotoNextSection" to the Tab key, and "GoToPrevSection" to Shift + Tab.

It does need refining for shift + tab- if it's in a section, and shift+tab gets pressed, it goes to the first form field in the section- but it works heaps better than nothing at all.

<pre>Option Explicit

Sub InitialiseTemplate()
    CustomizationContext = ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate
    ActiveDocument.Unprotect
    KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKeyTab), _
    KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryMacro, Command:="GotoNextSection"
    KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKeyShift, wdKeyTab), _
    KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryMacro, Command:="GotoPrevSection"
    ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, noreset:=True
    End Sub

Sub GotoNextSection()
    Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToSection, Which:=wdGoToNext, Count:=1, Name:=""
    End Sub

Sub GotoPrevSection()
    Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToSection, Which:=wdGoToPrevious, Count:=2, Name:=""
    End Sub
    </pre>

Thanks

I've added this thread to my <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms> Forms reference links</A>. Thank you.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin