Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Pro dial up connection (XP Pro)

I'm having troubles setting up a dial up connection. The network connection setup wizard grays out the option of making a dial up connection, and only allows the option "using a broadband connection that is always on". The machine does have a network card, but it has no broadband or cable modem. I can communicate with the modem fine in Control Panel diagnostics. Why won't it let me use the modem for a network connection?

Thanks

Re: XP Pro dial up connection (XP Pro)

Do you have the choices below? Does it work any better to choose the second one? If not, I wonder if you computer could have some kind of Policy restricting dial-up connections. (Seems odd, but nothing is inconceivable...)

New Lounger
    Thanks

LewisFan: Check this thread - it sounds like you may have the same underlying situation:
    http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.p...sb=5&o=0&fpart=

In case that link didn't work, it's a thread entitled "711 error for internet access (Window XP)", with last entry dated Sept 4.

HTH,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks -- thats made some progress, I can now create dial up connections, but they won't work.

The modem dials, the other computer answers, the connection says " verifying user name and password", then it gets to "registering your computer on the network" and the connection quits with an error 720. The help on this says "A connection could not be established because the PPP settings on your computer and on the remote computer do not match."

It suggests verifying that I have the TCP/IP protocol installed (which I do). It also says to verify that I have all the needed PPP protocols, and the details page lists several protocols (link control protocols, authentication protocols, network control protocols) but never explains how to make sure these are installled and running. Any more ideas?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi LewisFan,
    I don't run XP (yet) so I can't verify what I am about to suggest. However, the message you received, "registering your computer on the network" is similar to a message that can occur on Win9x dial-up connections if the tick box for " Log on to network " is checked/ticked. I did this through ignorance on one of my first systems and after the English ISP support said to uncheck the box it was fine. Many systems later and I have never had to tick that box for a dial-up system whether on BT, C & W, or NTL.
    In Win9x this is found in: IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, Settings, Properties, ServerTypes, Advanced Options, Log on to network (gasp). There are probably alternative routes to the end result. If you have a similar option in your XP system, I don't think it can do any harm to uncheck the box and try again. If it works, it might get you one step closer to a connection. HTH.